Translation of sorry in Italian:
- 1(apologetic) spiacente(for emphasis) desolatoI'm terribly sorrysono desolatosono molto dispiaciutosono terribilmente spiacente [formal](I'm) sorry, I haven't a clue [informal] o, I've no ideami spiace, non ne ho ideato be sorry that …essere dispiaciuto che …to be sorry ifdispiacersi seI'm sorry that things didn't work out, if I was rudemi rincresce che le cose non abbiano funzionato, di essere stato scorteseI'm sorry I'm late I'm sorry for the delay to be sorry for doing, to doscusarsi di avere fatto, di fareI'm sorry for keeping you waitingmi spiace avervi fatto o farvi aspettareI'm sorry to be a nuisance but…scusate il disturbo, ma…to be sorry aboutscusarsi di (behaviour, mistake, change)I'm sorry about this!scusa! mi spiace (di questo)!sorry about that!scusa!to say sorrychiedere scusa o scusarsihe didn't look the slightest bit sorry!non sembrava minimamente dispiaciuto!
- 2 (sympathetic)I'm sorry to hear of o to hear that … I'm very sorry about your unclesono addolorato per tuo zio
- 3 (regretful)to be sorry to doessere spiacente di farewe are sorry to inform you that … will you be sorry to go back?ti dispiacerà ritornare?no-one will be sorry to see him go!nessuno sentirà la sua mancanza!and, I'm sorry to say I'm sorry that I didn't come, that you didn't comemi spiace di non essere venuto, che tu non sia venutoshe was sorry (that) she'd raised the subjectsi pentì di avere affrontato l'argomentoI felt sorry about it afterwardsdopo me ne sono pentitodo it now or you'll be sorry!
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com