Translation of soul in Italian:
- 2 (innermost nature) a soul in torment [literary]un'anima in penato have the soul of a poetavere un animo poetico
- 3 (essence) the soul of the British middle classesl'anima della borghesia britannicato be the soul of kindness, discretionessere la gentilezza, la discrezione fatta persona
- 4 uncountable (emotional appeal or depth)to lack soul(performance, rendition)
non avere anima(building, city)he has no soul! [humorous]
essere anonimoè senz'anima!
- 6 (person)you mustn't tell a soul!non devi dirlo a anima viva!you can drive miles without seeing a soulsi può viaggiare per chilometri e chilometri senza vedere anima viva“many people there?” - “not a soul” she's too old, poor soul!è troppo vecchia, poveretta!some poor soul will have to pay [humorous]qualche anima pia dovrà pagare
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com