Translation of surprise in Italian:
- 1 (unexpected event) there are more surprises in store o to come the result came as o was no surpriseil risultato non è stato una sorpresa (per nessuno)that's a bit of a surprise it comes as o is no surprise that … it came as something of a surprise that people were so pleasedè stata una sorpresa vedere la gente così contentait would come as no surprise if it comes as o is a surprise to hear, to see that …è una sorpresa sapere, vedere che …it came as no surprise to us to hear that …non ci ha affatto sorpreso venire a sapere che …it came as o was a complete surprise to meè stata una vera sorpresa per meto spring a surprise on somebodyfare una sorpresa a qualcunosurprise, surprise! is he in for a surprise! and, surprise, surprise, they agreed [ironic]
- 3 (astonishment) there was some surprise at the news to express surprise at somethingmanifestare (la propria) sorpresa per qualcosato express surprise that … to my (great) surprisecon mia (grande) sorpresamuch to my surprise with surprisecon stupore“are you sure?” she said in surprise“ne sei sicuro?”, disse sorpresa
- 1 (astonish) he surprised everyone by winningla sua vittoria ha colto tutti di sorpresa o ha sorpreso tuttito be surprised by somethingessere sorpreso da qualcosawhat surprises me most is…ciò che mi sorprende di più è…it surprised them that …li sorprese il fatto che …it wouldn't surprise me ifnon mi sorprenderei o non sarei sorpreso seit might surprise you to know that …potrebbe sorprenderti sapere che …would it surprise you to learn that he's 60? nothing surprises me any more!non mi stupisco più di nulla!you (do) surprise me! [ironic] go on, surprise me
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com