Translation of sympathy in Italian:
- 1 (compassion) to feel sympathy for somebodyprovare compassione per qualcunoto do something out of sympathy for somebodyfare qualcosa per compassione di qualcunohe pressed my hand in sympathymi ha stretto la mano in segno di comprensioneshe could show a bit more sympathy!potrebbe avere un po' più di comprensione!“with deepest sympathy”
- 2 (solidarity) to be in sympathy with somebodyessere d'accordo con qualcuno o simpatizzare per qualcunoI am in sympathy with their aims I have little sympathy for their cause the workers have come out on strike in sympathy with the students the programme aroused public sympathy for victims of the famineil programma ha destato nel pubblico viva compassione per le vittime della carestia
also: sympathies plural noun
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com