Translation of the in Italian:
- 1 (specifying, identifying etc.) two chapters of the bookdue capitoli del libroI met them at the supermarketli ho incontrati al supermercato
- 2 (best etc.)she's the violinist of the centuryè la violinista del secolothe book of the yearil libro dell'annothe French restaurantil ristorante francese per eccellenzathe way of losing weightil modo più efficace per perdere pesodo you mean the William Blake?intendi dire proprio William Blake?
- 5 (enough)he hadn't the courage to refusenon ebbe il coraggio di rifiutarewe don't have the money for a holidaynon abbiamo i soldi per fare una vacanzacan you spare the time to help me?
- 9 (with comparative adjectives)the news made her all the sadderla notizia la rese ancora più triste
- 10 (in double comparatives)the more I learn the less I understandpiù studio meno capiscothe longer I do it the more difficult it becomespiù lo faccio e più diventa difficilethe sooner the better the longer he waits the harder it will bepiù aspetta e peggio sarà
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com