Translation of think in Italian:
transitive verb pass., p.pass. thought
- 1 (hold view, believe)that cheI think this is their housewhen do you think he will come?penso che questa sia la loro casawe'd better be going, don't you think? I think soquando credi che verrà?I don't think so, I think not [formal]penso di sì“the wine is free, isn't it?” - “I don't think so!”non penso, penso di no“can I stay out till midnight?” - “no, I think not!”“il vino è gratis, vero?” - “credo proprio di no!”“is he reliable?” - “I'd like to think so but…”“posso stare fuori fino a mezzanotte?” - “no, di certo!”to think it best to do, that …“ci si può fidare di lui?” - “mi piacerebbe poterlo credere ma…”to think it better to do, that…credere che la cosa migliore sia fare, che …I think it better to wait, what do you think?credere che sia meglio fare, cheI think it's going to rainio penso che sia meglio aspettare, e tu?what do you think it will cost?penso stia per pioverehim, a millionnaire? I don't think! [ironic]quanto credi possa costare?
- 2 (imagine) just think! yesterday we were slaving away in the office and today… [informal]just think what might happen! who'd have thought it!pensa! ieri stavamo sgobbando nell'ufficio e oggi…I'd never have thought it!chi lo avrebbe mai detto!I never thought you meant it!non lo avrei mai immaginato!I can't think how, why etc.non ho mai pensato che dicessi sul serio!I can't think who did it, what it's aboutnon riesco a immaginare come, perché ecc.I can't think where I've put my keysnon so chi l'abbia fatto, di cosa si trattiI really don't know what to thinknon so dove ho messo le chiaviwho do you think you are? [pejorative]non so proprio che cosa pensarewhat on earth do you think you're doing?ma chi ti credi di essere?I thought as much!che diamine stai facendo?six weeks' holiday! that's what you think!lo immaginavo!and to think that I believed him, that I once thought him charming!sei settimane di vacanze! tu sogni!e pensare che gli ho creduto, che una volta lo trovavo affascinante!
- 3 (have thought, idea)that che to do di fareI didn't think to phone, checkdid you think to bring a corkscrew, to ring him to confirm?non ho pensato di telefonare, di controllareI think I'll take the car, go for a swimhai pensato di portare un cavatappi, di telefonargli per confermare?to think beautiful thoughtspenso che prenderò la macchina, andrò a nuotareto think deep thoughtspensare a delle cose belleI was just thinking: suppose we sold the car?avere dei pensieri profondiwe're thinking money, sex here [informal]stavo pensando: e se vendessimo la macchina?let's think Green! [informal]qui stiamo parlando di soldi, di sesso“what a horrible man,” she thoughtpensiamo verde!“oh do come in!” (thinks) “oh God not him again!” [informal]“che uomo orribile,” pensò“oh entri pure!” (e intanto pensava) “oh Dio di nuovo lui!”
- 4 (rate, assess) See examples:to think a lot, not much of(person, work)what do you think of him, his work?cosa ne pensi di lui, del suo lavoro?
intransitive verb pass., p.pass. thought
- 1(engage in thought)about of aanimals cannot thinkI'll have to think about itgli animali non pensanoto think constructively think before you act what are you thinking about? I was thinking of youci devo pensarelet me think a momentpensavo a tehis remarks made us all thinkfammici pensare un momentoto think hardle sue osservazioni ci hanno fatto riflettereto think clearly o straightpensarci beneto think for oneself I'm sorry, I wasn't thinkingavere delle idee chiarewe are thinking in terms of economicsmi scusi, non ci pensavolet's think: three people at £170 each, plus the plane farevediamo le cose dal punto di vista economicocome to think of it…allora: tre persone a 170 sterline a testa, più il biglietto aereoadesso che ci penso… o a pensarci bene…
- 2 (take into account) See examples:to think about o of somebody, somethingI can't think of everything!pensare a qualcuno, qualcosathink of your family, about the futurenon posso pensare a tutto!she only thinks of herselfpensa alla tua famiglia, al futuropensa solo a se stessa
- 3 (consider) See examples:to think of somebody ashe thinks of himself as an expertconsiderare qualcuno come(brother, friend, ally)
- 4 (have in mind) See examples:to think of doinghe's thinking of resigningpensare o avere intenzione di fareshe's thinking of computing as a careerpensa di dare le dimissionito think about doingpensa a una carriera nell'informaticahe's thinking about a career in the Navypensare a farewhatever were you thinking of?pensa di fare carriera nella marinache cosa mai ti era saltato in mente?
- 5 (imagine) See examples:to think of just think of the expense!a million pounds, think of that!pensa solo al costo!and to think of her dying just like that!un milione di sterline, ci pensi!e se si pensa che è morta così, all'improvviso!
- 6 (tolerate idea) See examples:not to think of doingI couldn't think of letting you pay, of making an exception for hernon parlarsene di farenon potrei proprio farti pagare, fare un'eccezione per lei
- you need to think ahead and plan what you're going to do
- think out [something], think [something] out
- think over [something], think [something] over
- think through [something], think [something] through
- think up [something]
(change mind)if that's what you think, you can think again
se è quello che pensi, ti sbagli
thinking ahead to our retirement,…
devi pensarci prima e pianificare cosa vuoi fare
in tennis it is essential to think ahead
guardando al nostro pensionamento,…
you must think out what you're going to do
pensare bene a
well, badly thought out
devi pensare bene a quello che fai
ben, mal pensato
I'd like time to think it over
vorrei del tempo per pensarci su
riflettere a fondo su, ponderare(proposal, action)
(problem, question)you didn't think it through!
non l'hai analizzato bene!
non ci hai riflettuto a fondo!
(plan)what can we think up for her 21st birthday?
cosa potremmo inventarci per il suo ventunesimo compleanno?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Grammar and usage help for Italian:
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 22: SHOULD
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 10: HER
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 11: HIS
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 12: IN
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com