Translation of through in Italian:
- 1 (from one side to the other) to see through the curtain, mistvedere attraverso la tenda, la nebbiato feel the stones through one's shoessentire i sassi attraverso le suoleto cut through the fields the nail went right through the wallil chiodo attraversò il muroto drive through the forest, desertattraversare la foresta, il deserto (in macchina)to stick one's finger through the slit to poke something through a holefare passare qualcosa attraverso un bucoto drill through a cablebucare un cavo (da parte a parte) con il trapanohe was shot through the headil proiettile gli trapassò il cranioit has a crack running through itè attraversato da una crepa
- 2 (via, by way of)to go through a tunnel to go through London, the town centrepassare per Londra, per il centro della cittàto travel through Germany to Poland the path goes through the woods to come in through the hole, doorentrare dal buco, dalla portago straight through that door to jump through the window to look throughguardare in (binoculars, telescope)guardare da (hole, window, keyhole)to hear something through the wallsentire qualcosa attraverso il muroyou have to go through her secretarydevi passare dalla sua segretaria
- 5 (expressing source or agency)I heard through a friendho saputo da un amicoI met my husband through herho conosciuto mio marito tramite leiit was through her that I got this jobè stato grazie a lei che ho avuto questo lavoroto speak through an interpreter to send something through the postspedire qualcosa per postato book something through a travel agentprenotare qualcosa tramite un'agenzia di viaggito order something through a mail order firmordinare qualcosa da una società di vendita per corrispondenzaI only know her through her writings
- 6 (because of)through carelessness, inexperienceper negligenza, inesperienzathrough illnessper malattiathrough no fault of mine, we were lateeravamo in ritardo ma non per colpa mia
- 7 (until the end of)to work through the nightlavorare per tutta la notteall o right through the dayper tutta la giornatahe talked right through the filmha parlato per tutta la durata del filmto stay through until Sundayrimanere fino a domenicato work through the lunch hourlavorare durante la pausa pranzoshe will not live through the night
- 1 (from one side to the other)the water went right throughl'acqua è passata da parte a parteto let somebody throughlasciare passare qualcunocan you fit o squeeze o get through?
- 4 (Telecommunications)you're throughè in lineayou're through to Ms Wilkinsle passo la signora Wilkins
- 1 [informal] (finished) I'm throughho finitoI'm not through with you yet! are you through with the paper?hai finito col giornale?I'm through with men!con gli uomini ho chiuso!we're through (of a couple)tra noi è finitaLuke and I are throughtra me e Luke è finita
- 2 (direct)(train)
cumulativo(freight)a through route to the station “no through road” “through traffic”
a corpo(on roadsign) “circonvallazione”through traffic uses the bypassi veicoli in transito possono usare la tangenziale
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com