Translation of ton in Italian:
- 1 (in weight)also: (in GB) gross o long tonlong ton (masculine) (unità di misura equivalente a 1.016 kg)(in US)also: net ton o short tonshort ton (masculine) (unità di misura equivalente a 907,2 kg)metric ton a three-ton truckun camion di tre tonnellateto weigh a ton o be a ton weight (British English) [figurative]
- 3 [informal] (a lot)a ton ofuna tonnellata di o una montagna di (books, papers etc.)tons oftonnellate di o montagne di (food, paper, bands)we've tons leftce ne sono rimasti a tonnellate o a montagneDanny's new car is tons better than the other onela nuova macchina di Danny è mille volte meglio dell'altra
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com