Translation of tongue in Italian:
- 1 (Anatomy)lingua (feminine) (also figurative)to poke o stick out one's tongue at somebodyfare la lingua o la linguaccia a qualcunohis tongue was hanging outaveva la lingua a penzolonito click one's tonguefare schioccare la linguato lose, find one's tongue the tip of the tonguela punta della lingua
- staccare (note, passage)
to bite one's tongue
has the cat got your tongue? to get the rough side o edge of somebody's tongue
- [informal]essere insultato da qualcuno
I have his name on the tip of my tongue
- ho il suo nome sulla punta della lingua
to trip off the tongue
- (name, lie)
venire alle labbra
to loosen somebody's tongue
- sciogliere la lingua a qualcuno
I can't get my tongue round it
a slip of the tongue
- un lapsus
hold your tongue!
- [informal]frena la lingua!
watch your tongue! keep a civil tongue in your head
- bada a come parli!sii educato
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com