Translation of tongue in Italian:
- 1 (Anatomy)lingua (feminine) (also figurative)to poke o stick out one's tongue at somebodyfare la lingua o la linguaccia a qualcunohis tongue was hanging outaveva la lingua a penzolonito click one's tonguefare schioccare la linguato lose, find one's tongue the tip of the tonguela punta della lingua
- staccare (note, passage)
to bite one's tongue
has the cat got your tongue? to get the rough side o edge of somebody's tongue
- [informal]essere insultato da qualcuno
I have his name on the tip of my tongue
- ho il suo nome sulla punta della lingua
to trip off the tongue
- (name, lie)
venire alle labbra
to loosen somebody's tongue
- sciogliere la lingua a qualcuno
I can't get my tongue round it
a slip of the tongue
- un lapsus
hold your tongue!
- [informal]frena la lingua!
watch your tongue! keep a civil tongue in your head
- sii educato
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com