Translation of too in Italian:
When too means also it is generally translated by anche which is usually placed before the word it refers to: you too = anche tu; can I have some too? = posso averne un po' anch'io? - When too means to an excessive degree ( too high too dangerous too fast), it is translated by troppo: troppo alto troppo pericoloso troppo in fretta. - For examples of the above and further usages, see the entry below.
- 1 (also, as well) you too could be a winner! “I love you” - “I love you too”have you been to India too?“ti amo” - “ti amo anch'io”(like me)(as well as other countries)he speaks French, German toothe town has changed, so too have the inhabitantsparla anche francese, tedesco“have a nice evening” - “you too!”la città è cambiata, e così i suoi abitantishe's kind but she's strict too“buona serata” - “anche a te!”è gentile ma è anche esigente
- 2 (reinforcing an opinion) See examples:you should talk to someone - and soon tooChristine cooked the meal - and very tasty it is too!dovresti parlarne con qualcuno, e prestoshe was very annoyed and quite right too!Christine ha preparato il pranzo - e che pranzo!they sacked him and quite right too!era molto arrabbiata e ne aveva tutte le ragioni!lo licenziarono e per delle ottime ragioni!
- 3 (expressing indignation, annoyance) See examples:“they're here” - “about time too!”“I'm sorry” - “I should think so too!”“sono qui” - “alla buon'ora!”it was such a smart jacket, expensive too“mi dispiace” - “lo spero bene!”…and in front of your mother too!era una giacca davvero elegante, e anche costosa…e per di più di fronte a tua madre!
- 4 (excessively) the coat is too big for him just too big, nosyit's too early to leave it's too early for them to leavesolo troppo grosso, ficcanasothe tray was too heavy for me to carryè troppo presto perché possano partireit's too easy (for them) to criticizeil vassoio era troppo pesante da portare per meI was too shocked to speakè troppo facile da parte loro criticareit's too hot a day for walking it's too fast a game for meero troppo scioccato per parlaretoo many, too few peopleè un gioco troppo veloce per metoo much traffic I ate too muchtroppe, troppo poche personeit's too much of a strain she's too much of a feminist, a diplomat to domangiai troppohe was in too much of a hurry to talkè troppo femminista, diplomatica per faretoo silly for wordsaveva troppa fretta per parlareit was too little too latetroppo stupido per parlarnethe measures were too little too lateera troppo poco e troppo tardile misure furono insufficienti e tardive
- 5(emphatic: very)you're too kind! they'll be only too pleased to helphe's only too ready to criticizesaranno ben felici di aiutareshe hasn't been too well recentlyè sempre prontissimo a fare critichethat's too bad!non è stata troppo bene di recente(a pity)è un gran peccato!(tough)“so you're annoyed” - “too right (I am)!”“e allora sei arrabbiato” - “eccome (se lo sono)!”
- 6(in negatives)he's not too mad about jazzhe didn't do too bad a jobnon va granché matto per il jazzit wasn't too badnon ha lavorato tanto male(film, trip)you weren't too bad at all! he wasn't too badnon era tanto male(in health)non stava troppo male(in appearance)non stava tanto male(in his reactions)we're not too thrillednon era tanto arrabbiato o non se l'è presa tantoI'm not too sure about thatnon siamo tanto entusiastiit's not too far removed from blackmailnon ne sono troppo o tanto sicuro“they've arrived” - “none too soon!”rasenta il ricatto“sono arrivati” - “mai troppo presto!”
- 7 [informal] (contradicting: so) See examples:“you don't know how to swim” - “I do too!”“he didn't pinch you” - “he did too!”“tu non sai nuotare” - “sì che so nuotare!”“non ti ha pizzicato” - “e invece sì!”
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com