Translation of too in Italian:
When too means also it is generally translated by anche which is usually placed before the word it refers to: you too = anche tu; can I have some too? = posso averne un po' anch'io? - When too means to an excessive degree ( too high too dangerous too fast), it is translated by troppo: troppo alto troppo pericoloso troppo in fretta. - For examples of the above and further usages, see the entry below.
- 1 (also, as well) you too could be a winner! “I love you” - “I love you too”“ti amo” - “ti amo anch'io”have you been to India too?(like me) sei stato anche tu in India?(as well as other countries) sei stato anche in India?he speaks French, German tooparla anche francese, tedescothe town has changed, so too have the inhabitantsla città è cambiata, e così i suoi abitanti“have a nice evening” - “you too!”“buona serata” - “anche a te!”she's kind but she's strict tooè gentile ma è anche esigente
- 2 (reinforcing an opinion)you should talk to someone - and soon toodovresti parlarne con qualcuno, e prestoChristine cooked the meal - and very tasty it is too!Christine ha preparato il pranzo - e che pranzo!she was very annoyed and quite right too!era molto arrabbiata e ne aveva tutte le ragioni!they sacked him and quite right too!lo licenziarono e per delle ottime ragioni!
- 3 (expressing indignation, annoyance)“they're here” - “about time too!”“sono qui” - “alla buon'ora!”“I'm sorry” - “I should think so too!”“mi dispiace” - “lo spero bene!”it was such a smart jacket, expensive tooera una giacca davvero elegante, e anche costosa…and in front of your mother too!…e per di più di fronte a tua madre!
- 4 (excessively) the coat is too big for him just too big, nosysolo troppo grosso, ficcanasoit's too early to leave it's too early for them to leaveè troppo presto perché possano partirethe tray was too heavy for me to carryil vassoio era troppo pesante da portare per meit's too easy (for them) to criticizeè troppo facile da parte loro criticareI was too shocked to speakero troppo scioccato per parlareit's too hot a day for walking it's too fast a game for meè un gioco troppo veloce per metoo many, too few peopletroppe, troppo poche personetoo much traffic I ate too muchmangiai troppoit's too much of a strain she's too much of a feminist, a diplomat to doè troppo femminista, diplomatica per farehe was in too much of a hurry to talkaveva troppa fretta per parlaretoo silly for wordstroppo stupido per parlarneit was too little too lateera troppo poco e troppo tardithe measures were too little too latele misure furono insufficienti e tardive
- 5(emphatic: very) troppoyou're too kind!sei troppo gentile! (also ironic)they'll be only too pleased to helpsaranno ben felici di aiutarehe's only too ready to criticizeè sempre prontissimo a fare criticheshe hasn't been too well recentlynon è stata troppo bene di recentethat's too bad!(a pity) è un gran peccato!(tough) tanto peggio!“so you're annoyed” - “too right (I am)!”“e allora sei arrabbiato” - “eccome (se lo sono)!”
- 6(in negatives) troppohe's not too mad about jazznon va granché matto per il jazzhe didn't do too bad a jobnon ha lavorato tanto maleit wasn't too bad(film, trip)you weren't too bad at all! he wasn't too bad
non era tanto male(in health) non stava troppo male(in appearance) non stava tanto male(in his reactions) non era tanto arrabbiato o non se l'è presa tantowe're not too thrillednon siamo tanto entusiastiI'm not too sure about thatnon ne sono troppo o tanto sicuroit's not too far removed from blackmailrasenta il ricatto“they've arrived” - “none too soon!”“sono arrivati” - “mai troppo presto!”
- 7 [informal] (contradicting: so)“you don't know how to swim” - “I do too!”“tu non sai nuotare” - “sì che so nuotare!”“he didn't pinch you” - “he did too!”“non ti ha pizzicato” - “e invece sì!”
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com