Translation of tough in Italian:
- 2 (severe)(policy, measure, law)
aspro(sport) (hard) duro(violent) violentoto take a tough lineadottare la linea dura (on something per qualcosa) (with somebody nei confronti di, con qualcuno)you were a bit tough on himsei stato un po' duro con luito get tough with somebodyusare le maniere forti con qualcuno
- 7 [informal] (unfortunate)that's toughquesta è scalogna!tough luck!che sfortuna!(unsympathetically) peggio per te!tough shit! [vulgar]che sfiga di merda! che cazzo di sfiga!it was tough on them
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com