Translation of towards in Italian:
- 1 (in the direction of) towards the eastverso estshe ran towards himcorse verso di luihe was standing with his back towards meera in piedi di spalle (rispetto a me)the first steps towards [figurative]i primi passi verso (solution, system etc.)the country is moving towards democracy, independence he is moving towards the idea that …
- 3 (in relation to) their attitude, policy towards Europeil loro atteggiamento, la loro politica verso o nei confronti dell'Europato be friendly, hostile towards somebodyessere amichevole con, ostile nei confronti di qualcuno
- 4 (as a contribution to)the money will go towards the cost of a new roofil denaro servirà per un tetto nuovowe are saving towards a holiday you should put the money towards the children's educationdovresti mettere da parte il denaro per gli studi dei tuoi figlinew flats have gone some way towards easing the accommodation problemla costruzione di nuovi appartamenti ha contribuito in parte a risolvere il problema degli alloggimanagement have gone some way towards meeting the strikers' demandsla direzione ha fatto qualche concessione per andare incontro alle rivendicazioni degli scioperanti
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com