When under is used as a straightforward preposition in English, it can almost always be translated by sotto (a) in Italian: under the table = sotto al/sotto il tavolo under a sheet = sotto/sotto a un lenzuolo. - Note that sotto is the Italian translation of under, beneath and below. - Under is often used before a noun in English to mean subject to or affected by ( under control, under fire, under oath, under review etc.): for translations, consult the appropriate noun entry ( → control, → fire, → oath, → review etc.). - Under is also often used as a prefix in combinations such as undercooked, underfunded, undergrowth, underpass, underprivileged and underskirt. These combinations are treated as headwords in the dictionary. - For particular usages, see the entry below.
Translation of under in Italian:
- 1 (physically beneath or below) under the bed, chairsotto il letto, la sediaunder itdi sottoit's under thereè là sottoto come out from under somethinguscire da sotto a qualcosa
- 2 (less than)under £10, two hoursmeno di 10 sterline, di due orechildren under five a number under tenun numero inferiore a diecitemperatures under 10°Ctemperature inferiori a o al di sotto dei 10°Cthose under the rank ofle persone di rango inferiore a quello di
- 3 (according to)under the law, clause 5ai sensi della legge, dell'articolo 5 o secondo la legge, l'articolo 5fined under a rulemultato secondo le disposizioni di regolamento
- 2 (less) £10 and underda 10 sterline in giùchildren of six and underi bambini dai sei anni in giùto run five minutes under(event, programme)
durare cinque minuti meno del previsto
- 3 (anaesthetized)to put somebody undersottoporre qualcuno ad anestesia o addormentare qualcuno (con l'anestesia)to stay under for three minutes
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com