Translation of understand in Italian:
transitive verb pass., p.pass. -stood
- 1 (intellectually)capire, comprendere (question, language, concept)is that understood?è chiaro?I just don't understand itnon lo capisco proprioto understand that …capire che …to understand how, whycapire come, perchéI can't understand why to make oneself understood
- 2 (emotionally)capire, comprendere (person, feelings)I don't understand younon ti capiscoto understand somebody doingcapire che qualcuno facciaI can understand her being upsetposso capire che sia sconvolta
- 3 (interpret)capire, comprendere (person, statement)do I understand you correctly?(ti) ho capito bene?what do you understand by this?che cosa capisci da questo?as I understand itse ho capito beneI understood him to say o as saying that…ho capito che avesse detto che…I think we understand each otherpenso che ci capiamo
- 4 (believe)to understand that …credere o capire che …I understood (that) I was to waitho capito di dover aspettareit is, was understood that …è, era sottinteso che …he was given to understand that …gli hanno dato a intendere che …you won I understandmi sembra di aver capito che hai vinto“he's dead” - “so I understand”“è morto” - “mi sembra di sì”
- 5 (accept mutually)to be understoodessere intesoI thought that was understoodpensavo che fosse chiaroit must be understood that …sia inteso che …
intransitive verb pass., p.pass. -stood
- 1 (comprehend)capire (about di)no slip-ups, (do you) understand?niente errori, capito?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com