Translation of which in Italian:
- 2 (as indirect interrogative) he told me which jacket he'd likemi ha detto quale giacca vorrebbeshe asked me which coach was leaving firstmi chiese quale pullman sarebbe partito per primo
- 1also: which onewhich do you want, the red skirt or the blue one?quale gonna vuoi, quella rossa o quella blu?which of the groups…?(referring to one) quale dei gruppi…?(referring to several) quali dei gruppi…?which of you…? I know which you'd likeso quale vorrestishow her which you meanmostrale quale vuoi direwhich is the best, the shortest route?qual è la strada migliore, più corta?do you mind which you have?hai qualche preferenza?I don't mind which can you tell which is which?sai distinguerli?
- 2(relative to preceding noun) (as subject, object) che, il quale, la quale, i quali, le quali(with prepositions) il quale, la quale, i quali, le quali, cuithe painting which hangs in the sitting roomil quadro (che è) appeso in salottoyou'll see some crates behind which I've placed…vedrai delle casse dietro le quali ho messo…the contract which he's spoken about o about which he's spoken
- 3 (relative to preceding clause or concept)he said he hadn't done it, which may be truedisse che non l'aveva fatto lui, il che può essere verohe said he hadn't done it, which he can't provedisse che non l'aveva fatto lui, cosa che non può provarewhich reminds me… upon which she disappeared [literary]al che scomparvewe'll be moving, before which we need to…ci stiamo per trasferire ma prima dobbiamo…he's resigned, from which we must assume that …ha dato le dimissioni e da questo dobbiamo dedurre che …
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com