- 1 (interrogative) who knows the answer? who did you invite? who's going to be there?chi ci sarà?behind, next to who? who was she with? who does he live with?con chi vive? con chi abita?who did you buy it for? who did you get it from? “I gave it away” - “who to?”“l'ho regalato” - “a chi?”do you know who's who?conosci tutti?I was strolling along when who should I see but Simonstavo passeggiando e chi ti incontro, Simonwho shall I say is calling? (on phone)“chi devo dire?”
- 2(after prepositions) il quale, la quale, i quali, le quali, cuihis friend who lives in London, who he seesil suo amico che abita a Londra, l'amico che lui frequentahe, she who they o those whoquelli che, coloro i qualithose who have something to say should speak up nowchi ha qualcosa da dire parli orathe man who I told you aboutl'uomo di cui, del quale ti parlavo
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com