Interrogative whose - in Italian, di chi - can be used in questions both as an adjective and a pronoun to ask which person or persons something belongs to: whose car is this? / whose is this car? = di chi è questa macchina? we don't know whose car this is = non sappiamo di chi sia questa macchina. - As a relative, whose shows the relationship between a person or thing and something that belongs to that person or thing; it is translated in Italian as il/la/ i/le cui, as di cui, or as del quale/della quale/dei quali/delle quali: this is the man, whose wallet has been stolen = questo è l'uomo, il portafoglio del quale è stato rubato; students whose name begins with M please stand up = gli studenti il cui nome inizia con la M si alzino per favore; can you see that big house, whose windows are all shut? = riesci a vedere quella grande casa, le cui finestre sono tutte chiuse?
- 1 (interrogative)whose pen is that? do you know whose car was stolen?sai di chi è l'auto che è stata rubata? sai a chi hanno rubato l'auto?whose coat did you take?di chi è il cappotto che hai preso?whose party did you go to?di chi era la festa a cui sei andato?with whose permission?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com