also: wits plural noun
- (intelligence) intelligenza (feminine)(presence of mind) presenza (feminine) di spiritoto have the wits to doavere l'intelligenza di fareto have o keep (all) one's wits about one(vigilant) stare all'erta o tenere gli occhi ben aperti(level-headed) mantenere il sangue freddo o conservare la propria presenza di spiritoto collect o gather one's witsriprendersito sharpen one's wits to frighten, startle, terrify somebody out of their witsspaventare a morte qualcunoto pit one's wits against somebodymisurarsi con qualcunoto live by one's witsvivere d'espedientito lose one's wits a battle of wits
transitive verb forma in -ing -tt- pass., p.pass. wist[archaic]
intransitive verb forma in -ing -tt- pass., p.pass. wist[archaic]
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com