Translation of absence in Spanish:
noununcountable or countable
- 1 (of person) in her absenceen su ausenciato be sentenced in one's absence (Law)ser juzgado en rebeldíano one mourned his absencenadie lamentó su ausenciaafter an absence of six weeksdespués de una ausencia de seis semanasher frequent absences from schoolsus frecuentes faltas de asistencia al colegioabsence makes the heart grow fonderla ausencia es al amor lo que al fuego el aire: que apaga el pequeño y aviva el grandeExample sentences
- If a child has ten unauthorised absences during a six-week period then a parent is sent a fixed penalty notice warning.
- However, she came under increasing criticism for her frequent absences while running her other company in Santiago de Chile.
- The under-17 age squad was badly affected by holidays and absences but still turned in some great performances.
- 2 uncountable (lack)absence
ofsomethingfalta (feminine)in the absence of suitable alternatives/a better suggestion dealgoa falta de alternativas adecuadas/una sugerencia mejorthere was absence of malice/intent (Law)no hubo dolo (penal)/intenciónExample sentences
- In the absence of a decent World Cup anthem, we invited you to pen an official Guardian song.
- Mr Wilkins said the absence of a cinema in the town is a commonly raised issue.
- Yes, the almost total absence of rural policing is a major problem in urgent need of a solution.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.