Translation of absence in Spanish:
noun/nombreu and c
- 1 (of person) ausencia (feminine) in her absence en su ausencia to be sentenced in one's absence [Law/Derecho] ser* juzgado en rebeldía no one mourned his absence nadie lamentó su ausencia after an absence of six weeks después de una ausencia de seis semanas her frequent absences from school sus frecuentes faltas de asistencia al colegio absence makes the heart grow fonder la ausencia es al amor lo que al fuego el aire: que apaga el pequeño y aviva el grandeExample sentences
- If a child has ten unauthorised absences during a six-week period then a parent is sent a fixed penalty notice warning.
- However, she came under increasing criticism for her frequent absences while running her other company in Santiago de Chile.
- The under-17 age squad was badly affected by holidays and absences but still turned in some great performances.
- 2 uncountable/no numerable (lack) absence
ofsth falta (feminine) dealgo in the absence of suitable alternatives/a better suggestion a falta de alternativas adecuadas/una sugerencia mejor there was absence of malice/intent [Law/Derecho] no hubo dolo (penal)/intenciónExample sentences
- In the absence of a decent World Cup anthem, we invited you to pen an official Guardian song.
- Mr Wilkins said the absence of a cinema in the town is a commonly raised issue.
- Yes, the almost total absence of rural policing is a major problem in urgent need of a solution.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
The name of Spain's state-run post office is correos. Stamps can be bought in an