Translation of absence in Spanish:
noununcountable and countable
- 1 (of person) in her absenceto be sentenced in one's absence (Law)en su ausenciano one mourned his absenceser juzgado en rebeldíaafter an absence of six weeksnadie lamentó su ausenciaher frequent absences from schooldespués de una ausencia de seis semanasabsence makes the heart grow fondersus frecuentes faltas de asistencia al colegiola ausencia es al amor lo que al fuego el aire: que apaga el pequeño y aviva el grandeExample sentences
- If a child has ten unauthorised absences during a six-week period then a parent is sent a fixed penalty notice warning.
- However, she came under increasing criticism for her frequent absences while running her other company in Santiago de Chile.
- The under-17 age squad was badly affected by holidays and absences but still turned in some great performances.
- 2 uncountable (lack) See examples:absence
ofsomethingin the absence of suitable alternatives/a better suggestionfalta (feminine) dealgothere was absence of malice/intent (Law)a falta de alternativas adecuadas/una sugerencia mejorno hubo dolo (penal)/intenciónExample sentences
- In the absence of a decent World Cup anthem, we invited you to pen an official Guardian song.
- Mr Wilkins said the absence of a cinema in the town is a commonly raised issue.
- Yes, the almost total absence of rural policing is a major problem in urgent need of a solution.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
In Spain, a geographical, social, and culturally homogeneous region, with a clear natural or administrative demarcation is called a comarca. Comarcas are normally smaller than