Translation of absent in Spanish:
- 1.1 (not present) ausente the teacher marked her absent el profesor le puso falta or la anotó ausente to be absent
fromsth faltar aalgo she was absent from school faltó al colegio to go absent without order of leave (American English/inglés norteamericano) o (British English/inglés británico) without leave [Military/Militar] ausentarse sin permiso to absent friends! ¡por los amigos ausentes!Example sentences1.2 (lacking) (predicative/predicativo) his famous sense of humor was conspicuously absent su famoso sentido del humor brilló por su ausencia 1.3 (vague) (before noun/delante del nombre) [look] distraído, ausente
- The other nurse, who continues to suffer ill health arising from the near assault, has been absent from work on a number of occasions.
- Remarkably, however, nectar is absent from those species that produce pseudopollen.
- Shouldn't we be working on getting in touch with this technology so that we can keep track of children and young people who are absent from school?
- She just looked at him, curious as to why his absent expression was now missing, replaced by a foolish something.
- Ryan felt her finger trace around his hand in an absent manner and wanted nothing more than to squeeze her and never let go.
- His face wore an absent expression, as of deep thought, and I became afraid that if his eyes did light upon me he would nevertheless not see me.
reflexive verb/verbo reflexivo/æbˈsent; əbˈsent/
- to absent oneself (
fromsth) [formal] ausentarse ( dealgo) [formal]
- (American English/inglés norteamericano) sin
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
The current Spanish Constitution (Constitución Española) was approved in the