Translation of absent in Spanish:
adjectiveAmerican English: /ˈæbsənt/ British English: /ˈabs(ə)nt/
- 1 (not present) the teacher marked her absentel profesor le puso falta or la anotó ausenteto be absent
fromsomethingfaltarshe was absent from school aalgofaltó al colegioto go absent without order of leave (American English) o (British English) without leave (Military)ausentarse sin permisoto absent friends!¡por los amigos ausentes!Example sentences
- The other nurse, who continues to suffer ill health arising from the near assault, has been absent from work on a number of occasions.
- Remarkably, however, nectar is absent from those species that produce pseudopollen.
- Shouldn't we be working on getting in touch with this technology so that we can keep track of children and young people who are absent from school?
- 2 (lacking) (predicative) his famous sense of humor was conspicuously absentsu famoso sentido del humor brilló por su ausencia
- 3 (vague) (before noun)Example sentences
- She just looked at him, curious as to why his absent expression was now missing, replaced by a foolish something.
- Ryan felt her finger trace around his hand in an absent manner and wanted nothing more than to squeeze her and never let go.
- His face wore an absent expression, as of deep thought, and I became afraid that if his eyes did light upon me he would nevertheless not see me.
reflexive verbAmerican English: /æbˈsɛnt/ British English: /abˈsɛnt/
- to absent oneself (
fromsomething) [formal]ausentarse ( dealgo) [formal]Example sentences
- The fact that his wife worked on the fields meant that Bandia could absent himself every once in a while to conduct his commercial activities.
- If your family celebrates Christmas, then absenting yourself for the day to go and read a book is simply not on.
- Over the past few generations, economic migration has resulted in men absenting themselves from family life.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.