- 1.1 c (mishap) accidente (m) to have an accident tener* or sufrir un accidente industrial accident accidente laboral or de trabajo road accident accidente de tráfico or (AmL tb) de tránsito we arrived home without accident u llegamos a casa sin contratiempos or percances I hope they haven't had an accident espero que no hayan tenido un accidente or no les haya pasado nada he had a little accident at school today [euphemism/eufemismo] hoy tuvo un pequeño percance en el colegio [eufemismo/euphemism] accidents will happen [set phrase] a cualquiera le puede pasar (before n) accident prevention prevención (f) de accidentes or [formal] siniestrosMore example sentences1.2 c u (chance) casualidad (f) it is no accident that … no es una casualidad or un hecho fortuito que … it is a historical accident that … es un accidente histórico el que … it was (a) pure accident that their visits coincided fue pura casualidad que sus visitas coincidieran their third child was an accident su tercer hijo fue un descuido by accident (by chance) por casualidad (unintentionally) sin querer
More example sentences
- He said data from accidents and damage incidents is collected and used to tailor officer and staff training to improve safety and cut down costs.
- Air accident investigators say the incident was ‘serious’ and are checking instructions from air traffic control.
- Each year, more than 37,000 women die from accidents.
More example sentences
- As a result, they welcomed successful accidents and chance events.
- Thus, accidents or chance events function as sites around which narratives of individual difference can collocate.
- Perhaps it was no accident that the two events coincided, since the association between oysters and sex has been so hackneyed as to become an embarrassing cliché.
- By accident of birth, most, but not all American leaders, were born in the United States.
- And so now by pure accident of birth, I'm alive at a time where science is about to figure this out.
- All to make sure that the children get the opportunities they were denied by mere accident of birth.
Browse other language resources
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...