Translation of ace in Spanish:
- 1 (in cards, dominoes, dice) as (masculine) the ace of clubs el as de tréboles the ace in the hole o (British English/inglés británico) pack la mejor baza the ace in the hole was their new forward la mejor baza del equipo era su nuevo delantero to be/come within an ace of sth she came within an ace of victory le faltó poquísimo or [colloquial/familiar] un pelo para ganar he came within an ace of beating the champion estuvo a punto de ganarle al campeón to have another ace to play tener* un as en la manga, tener* otra baza importante to have o hold all the aces tener* todas las de ganarExample sentences
- One recent day, search crews found an ace of diamonds playing card, a doorknob, a pair of security guard pants, a woman's black wig and a pink toothbrush.
- You look at the cards one at a time, and pile them face up on the ace of the same suit.
- He picked up his cards, finding the ace of diamonds he tossed it on the pile.
- 2 (in tennis) ace (masculine)Example sentences
- She got the match off to a lightning start, opening with a love service game including two aces.
- He finished three of his first four service games with an ace.
- He broke his opponent's opening service game easily, and then held serve with three aces to win seven out of eight of the first points played.
- 3 (expert, champion) as (masculine)Example sentences
- The motorcycle ace won a world title on the all-powerful Honda last year and then celebrated victory by signing for the all-powerless Yamaha.
- The Chorley ace starred alongside Olympic record holder Chris Hoy and Craig MacLean as the British team left Poland trailing by more than a second in the sprint final.
- Lane however had their own batting aces and the Park bowlers struggled as S Hargreaves made 69 and Oliver Halliday 53.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Sherry is produced in an area of chalky soil known as albariza lying between the towns of Puerto de Santa María, Sanlúcar de Barrameda, and Jerez de la Frontera in Cádiz province. It is from Jerez that sherry takes its English name. Sherries, made from grape varieties including Palomino and Pedro Ximénez, are drunk worldwide as an aperitif, and in Spain as an accompaniment to