Translation of ace in Spanish:
- 1 (in cards, dominoes, dice) the ace of clubsel as de trébolesthe ace in the hole o (British English) packla mejor bazathe ace in the hole was their new forwardla mejor baza del equipo era su nuevo delanteroto be/come within an ace of somethingshe came within an ace of victoryle faltó poquísimo para ganarle faltó un pelo para ganar [colloquial]he came within an ace of beating the championestuvo a punto de ganarle al campeónto have another ace to playtener un as en la mangato have o hold all the aces
tener otra baza importantetener todas las de ganarExample sentences
- One recent day, search crews found an ace of diamonds playing card, a doorknob, a pair of security guard pants, a woman's black wig and a pink toothbrush.
- You look at the cards one at a time, and pile them face up on the ace of the same suit.
- He picked up his cards, finding the ace of diamonds he tossed it on the pile.
- 2 (in tennis)ace (masculine)Example sentences
- She got the match off to a lightning start, opening with a love service game including two aces.
- He finished three of his first four service games with an ace.
- He broke his opponent's opening service game easily, and then held serve with three aces to win seven out of eight of the first points played.
- 3 (expert, champion)Example sentences
- The motorcycle ace won a world title on the all-powerful Honda last year and then celebrated victory by signing for the all-powerless Yamaha.
- The Chorley ace starred alongside Olympic record holder Chris Hoy and Craig MacLean as the British team left Poland trailing by more than a second in the sprint final.
- Lane however had their own batting aces and the Park bowlers struggled as S Hargreaves made 69 and Oliver Halliday 53.
- 1 [colloquial] (before noun) an ace driver/pilotun as del volante/de la aviaciónExample sentences
- People have these fantasies that we live in a world where mum and dad are both ace parents and have wonderful relationships with their children and with each other.
- The show's got everything - ace gags, brilliant direction and those boys can ad-lib like the pros they are.
- A peek into the world of an ace swimmer who had everything going for him until calamity came calling one day, it is the kind of brave cinema that has been making its presence felt in recent times.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.