Translation of action in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable 1.1 (practical measures) prompt action by the police saved several livesla rápida actuación de la policía salvó varias vidasaction is needed now to …hay que tomar medidas or actuar inmediatamente para …we demand action!¡exigimos que se haga algo!which course of action do you recommend?¿qué medidas recomienda?he didn't rule out military actionno descartó la intervención del ejércitothey took disciplinary action against herle aplicaron medidas disciplinariasto take action to take action against somebody/something
fue sancionadatomar medidas contra alguien/algono further action will be takenno se tomará ninguna otra medidaaction! (Cinema)¡acción!Example sentences1.2 (in phrases) in action
en acciónI'm back in action now [colloquial]ya estoy de nuevo al pie del cañón [colloquial]to go into action the government has swung into action against tax evasionel Gobierno se ha lanzado a combatir la evasión fiscalto put something into actionponer algo en prácticaout of actionmy car is out of actiontengo el coche averiado or (in Latin America also) descompuestohe'll be out of action for a few weeksva a estar fuera de circulación durante unas semanas [humorous]
- I know that some have argued that we should take action to achieve a very much smaller population.
- She said emissions to air, waste management and water eutrophication required urgent action.
- Elections are the paramount means for influencing governmental action.
- 2 countable 2.1 (deed) their actions show them to be untrustworthysus actos demuestran que no son dignos de confianzamy first action would be to call the police
la forma en que actúan demuestra que no son dignos de confianzalo primero que haría sería llamar a la policíaI won't be responsible for my actions if it happens againsi vuelve a suceder, yo no respondo de míactions speak louder than wordsobras son amores y no buenas razones
el movimiento se demuestra andandoExample sentences2.2 (Physics)
- The wider issue is the question of the state's behaviour and whether its actions were responsible.
- It's all well and good to perform these actions in response to the alarm clock if that's what happens every day.
- The scene requires viewers to question the actions and reactions of characters in a highly complex situation.
- His actions are machined from pre heat-treated 4140 bar stock using all carbide tooling.
- He moved the slide action back and forth, checking that the movement was smooth enough to meet his satisfaction.
- Most bolt actions will fit the cartridge without bolt modification and bullets up to .35 caliber can be fitted into some variation of the case.
- 3 (Military) 3.1 uncountable (combat) to go into actionentrar en acción or en combatekilled/wounded in actionmuerto/herido en combateto see actionExample sentences3.2 countable (engagement)
- A former soldier who was in the thick of the action during the War told how he had met his match - in York.
- He saw early action in North Africa, where he was awarded a Military Cross and bar.
- Most National Guard and Reservists sign up thinking they'll never see action, let alone deployment overseas.
- 4 uncountable 4.1 (plot) the action takes place in Florencela acción se desarrolla en FlorenciaExample sentences4.2 (exciting activity) they went downtown looking for some action [colloquial]
fueron al centro en busca de animación or [colloquial] de la movidato get a piece o slice of the action [colloquial]Example sentences
- The action of the story divides between this rural backdrop and Helsinki, to which Eeva eventually flees.
- Yes the story and action is horrific at times but Ray and Kathy put in such excellent performances.
- Time. Used to define the limits of the story and around which action is organized.
- On some days it was difficult for visitors to know which way to look because there was just so much exciting wildlife action going on around them.
- Things got off to a slow start but by mid afternoon there was non stop action.
- At one level, the movie is about science fiction, kung fu, firearms and non-stop action.
- 5 5.1 countable (movement)(of a horse) marcha (feminine)Example sentences5.2 uncountable (operation) biological/chemical action
acción (feminine) biológica/químicaExample sentences5.3 uncountable (of drug, chemical)action (
- The darkness of winter slows the city's heartbeat, making our every action or movement an effort.
- His movements contradicted the others' actions, his steps were graceful and quiet like that of a doe.
- No words, just clean efficient movement and actions.
- In Africa there have been unilateral military actions by states to overthrow despotic governments in neighbouring states.
- However, other soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines die in combat actions, too.
- One was to engage in guerilla actions and wear the enemy down.
onsomething)acción (feminine) or efecto (masculine) ( sobrealgo)Example sentences
- Syrup alone may act as a demulcent and provide antitussive action without side effects.
- Problems included unspecified dosages, unclear information about drug action, and side effects of drugs.
- When all the finish is removed, apply a neutralizer to stop the chemical action.
- 7 countable (Law) to bring an action against somebodydemandar a alguien
ejercitar una acción contra alguienExample sentences
- Judicial Watch has filed 92 lawsuits and legal actions against government officials.
- As with other questions in this chapter it also covers a number of the judicial actions in the Community legal order.
- Would the law of New Zealand that takes away rights of common law actions for personal injuries and puts people on some kind of pension scheme apply?
- (British English) [colloquial]
poner en marcha(claim)
- If you had a standard monthly payment for the same amount each month, then your request could be actioned.
- Both of these recommendations have been actioned.
- We received separate complaints about flytipping in this area on Tuesday and Wednesday in this area and this will be actioned.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.