Translation of active in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (energetic, busy) [person/life] activo; [day/weekend] ajetreado, movido, de gran actividad [market/trading] [Finance] activo we had a very active holiday pasamos unas vacaciones llenas de actividadExample sentences1.2 [Chemistry/Química] [Pharmacology/Farmacología] activo
Example sentences1.3 [volcano] en actividad
- These are busy women with very active social lives.
- Not that Elle actually had time to notice what went on with Aaron lately, what with her new busy and active social life and all.
- Why not come along and join us. we are a very busy and active institute and meet on the third Thursday at St Peter's Church in Hextable.
- This was supposedly caused by a chemical transformation of the active ingredient, but that conclusion was disputed by other scientists.
- They then perform a crude screening of the organisms to determine if they contain novel chemicals that are biologically active.
- Large numbers of plant species are a great source of biologically active compounds whose effect on human health or genetic material is mostly unknown.
- Deception Island is a historically active volcano with the last eruptions about 30 years ago.
- The active volcanoes erupt a type of rock known as basalt.
- Some of the best rice-growing regions of Indonesia are in the shadow of active volcanoes.
- 2 2.1 (practicing) activo sexually active teenagers adolescentes que mantienen relaciones sexuales to be politically active militar políticamente there are rebels active in the region hay rebeldes luchando en la zona the friars were active among the poor los frailes trabajaban con los pobres 2.2 (positive, keen) [member/role] activo to play an active part in sth tomar parte activa en algo the proposal is under active consideration se está estudiando la propuesta seriamente he takes an active interest in sport sigue con mucho interés todo lo relacionado con el deporte to take active steps to combat terrorism tomar medidas activas para combatir el terrorismoExample sentences
- Among older adults categorized as physically active, 24.7 percent engage in strength training.
- Despite predictions of almost unbounded mobility, most people in industrialised nations are less physically active than ever before.
- Being physically active also helps, a morning run, ride or swim really gets those feel good hormones pumping and keeps those cortisol levels down.
Example sentences2.3 [Military/Militar] (before noun/delante del nombre) [service/duty] activo to be in the active reserves o (British English/inglés británico) on the active list estar* en la reserva activa or la primera reserva
- All the poems in Trouble in Mind depend on the reader's active imagination; in fact, they read as instructions for it.
- Not that I've spent a lot of time rummaging around such places, mind you, but I got me an active imagination.
- My friend also had something most of these heirs don't: a vital and active mind.
- An active cascode amplifier circuit which includes an active cascode amplifier and an amplitude limiter.
- An active bypass circuit for use with a battery pack having a plurality of cells and method of operation thereof.
- Each of the associated heater resistors has associated active circuitry on the chip.
- The order has a large urban base, and its educated members are particularly politically active.
- About a quarter were sexually active before participating in the Wise Guys program.
- He became politically active as a student and was a founder member of the Congress of Democrats.
- Rational strengths of force groupings for the employment in the zone of active combat operations can be substantiated by two methods.
- And, frankly, we saw what happened once active operations got under way.
- He has also noted that about half the cases this year occurred during active hostilities or combat operations in the Persian Gulf.
- 3 3.1 [Linguistics/Lingüística] activo 3.2 [vocabulary] activoExample sentences
- Be ruthless with clutter, write in the active voice, place each idea into a sentence of its own, and lastly, get your punctuation right.
- Military vision documents are written in the active voice, with strong verbs and modifiers.
- Another advantage of sentences written in active voice is that the sentences are usually shorter.
- [Linguistics/Lingüística] the active la voz activa
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
A piñata is a hollow figure made of cardboard, or from a clay pot lined with colored paper. Filled with fruit, candy, toys, etc, and hung up at parties, people take turns to stand in front of them blindfolded and try to break them with a stick. They feature in Mexican posadas