Translation of adopt in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1.1 [Law/Derecho] [child] adoptarExample sentences1.2 (begin to use) [idea/strategy/custom/title] adoptar she adopted a stern tone adoptó un tono severo
- Such couples may have to wait a number of years before they can legally adopt a child.
- About 4,939 Russian children are legally adopted by foreigners each year, but 184,000 still languish in orphanages.
- We can legally marry and adopt children in every jurisdiction.
Example sentences1.3 (accept formally) [recommendation] aprobar*
- Until that time, sauces followed the Roman method adopted by Taillevent: where thick pieces of stale bread were soaked in liquid and then strained through cloth.
- I agree that this was an option and not obligatory, but most consulting engineers chose to adopt this method, as it satisfied the needs for the brief and avoided the need for dimensioning the drawings.
- A few astrologers have chosen to adopt a third method of division.
Example sentences1.4 (British English/inglés británico) [Politics/Política] (as candidate) elegir*
- No matter what the Court may announce on Monday, it will not be adopting this extreme position.
- Like much of continental philosophy, feminist continental philosophy adopts a critical position with regard to reason.
- She is an antireductionist - a position sometimes adopted by those who dislike what they perceive to be the direction of modern genetics.
- It was agreed to adopt the report outlining the proposals as the basis for consultation with interested parties.
- The committee unanimously voted to adopt the report and take the first steps towards implementing some of the suggestions.
- The report was yesterday adopted by all senators with the Opposition fully in support of its contents and the eventual conclusion.
- The local Tory party in Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross was due yesterday to take a decision on whether to adopt him as a candidate.
- After coming joint top of the civil service exam, he joined the sector in 1946, only to resign the following year when he was adopted as the Parliamentary candidate for Bexley.
- In 1921 he was adopted as a Labour candidate for Battersea North.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
The Premios Goya del cine español is the Spanish equivalent of Oscars, awarded in January every year by the AACC (Academia de las Artes y las Ciencias Cinematográficas de España). The winners receive a bust of the painter Goya.