- 1 (have effect on)(person/traffic/region)these decisions affect all of usafectar ayour pension will not be affectedestas decisiones nos afectan a todossu pensión no se verá afectadaExample sentences
- Differences in environment or health status may affect how people respond to subjective assessments.
- This is beginning to affect how the law determines which of these relationships should be given legal recognition.
- The effects of the hunger affected each of their kind differently.
- 3 (move, touch) [formal]we were all much affected by her deathafectar asu muerte nos afectó a todosExample sentences
- Salinger's book has powerfully affected, and still affects, so many generations of readers.
- When I saw the documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11," I was really affected by it.
- Despite admitting to affairs in his rock-star years, he remains terribly affected by her death.
- 1 (pretend to feel)(indifference/sorrow/interest)to affect to +
infinitiveshe affected not to hear my remarksfingir + infinitivefingió no oír lo que decíaExample sentences
- Although the author affects befuddlement, his book demonstrates an unfaltering sense of self.
- The boy then sat on top of the pillow, affecting an air of supreme indifference.
- One can affect unawareness, feign indifference or summon up some other defense against such entreaties.
- He has enough shirt buttons undone to wear a medallion, but instead affects a necklace.
- Sometimes you become very aware that you're watching an actor affecting crazy mannerisms in a crazy movie.
- Her haughty tone affected the third voice, giving him the impression that she was annoyed.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Mezcal is an alcoholic drink similar to