Translation of against in Spanish:
against often appears as the second element of certain verb structures in English ( come up against, guard against, turn against, etc). For translations, see the relevant verb entry ( come, guard, turn, etc).
- 1 (in opposition to) we voted against the motionvotamos en contra de or contra la mociónshe set my own son against mepuso a mi propio hijo contra mí or en contra míaI'm against capital punishmentestoy en contra de la pena de muerteif you're not with us, you're against ussi no estás con nosotros, estás contra nosotros or en contra nuestra or en contra de nosotrostwo against one personally, I've nothing against her have you got something against going by train?¿tienes algún problema en ir en tren?he succeeded against all expectations it's against my principles to eat meatcomer carne va en contra de mis principiosI advised her against driving to workle aconsejé que no fuera al trabajo en cocheher politics are against hersu postura política no la favoreceExample sentences
- It is vital in the fight against crime that the public is able to trust law enforcement officials.
- He has fought against it in government, in opposition and within his own party.
- In opposition, we were against the privatisation of air traffic control, then did the opposite in power.
- 2 (in opposite direction) to swim against the currentExample sentences
- A curtain has been fixed at the eastern end of the shelter as a protection against the driving wind and rain.
- Vines are trained on low bushes as protection against the strong winds.
- He had a brown suede jacket with light brown denim pants, his collar was turned up against the wind.
- 3 3.1 (alongside) the table stood against the wallla mesa estaba contra la paredthey checked the list against the originalcotejaron la lista con el originalhe put a cross against my namepuso una cruz al lado de mi nombreExample sentences3.2 (on, onto) to lean against something
apoyarse contra algoto bang one's head against the wall
- This is done by cutting off all fruited canes at the base and untangling new growth and tying it to supports against the wall or fence.
- After one last, warning crush, he let go, my frame slumping against the wall for support.
- She put out a hand against the wall for support, and took several soothing breaths.
- 4 4.1 (in contrast to) it stands out against the dark backgroundresalta contra el fondo oscuroExample sentences4.2 (in comparison to, in relation to) our results look poor against theirs
nuestros resultados desmerecen al lado de los suyos or comparados con los suyosthe pound dropped to a new low against the dollarla libra registró un nuevo mínimo frente al dólarExample sentences
- Behind us, a small silhouette against a light grey sky was the castle.
- Mai appeared at the door, silhouetted against the brighter light from the other room.
- All but one of the boilers remained in position, silhouetted against the green water and ambient light.
- The benefits of overthrow must of course be weighed against the horrific costs of war.
- Vaccinations are expensive and costs must be weighed up against the risks involved.
- Businesses say the advantages of trading with Europe have to be weighed against the increased cost of red tape.
- 5 (as protection from) it's insured against theftestá asegurado contra roboit's no good against the coldno protege contra el frío
- 6 6.1 (in return for) [formal]it can only be issued against payment in fullsolo puede expedirse si se abona en su totalidadExample sentences6.2 (in anticipation of) [literary]
en previsión deExample sentences
- Invoice financing is similar to factoring, where banks lend against sales and money owed by debtors.
- Landlords can offset the interest they pay on their mortgage against rental income to reduce the amount of tax they pay.
- This has resulted in massive volume growth in lending against rising asset values.
- Claire gritted her teeth against the pain, a high, keen sound escaping her lips.
- Uranium was used to shield tanks against attack by conventional armour-piercing weapons.
- It is, for the time being, a great insurance against any terrorist attack.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.