Translation of ahead in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (indicating movement) See examples: she went on ahead to greet themtake the second left, then go straight aheadse adelantó para saludarlosI'll go on ahead to see what's happeningtome la segunda a la izquierda y luego siga todo recto or derechoshe sent the trunk ahead by railyo iré delante or adelante a ver qué está pasandofull speed o steam ahead! (Nautical)mandó el baúl antes or por delante por tren¡avante a toda máquina!Example sentences1.2 (indicating position) See examples: a short distance ahead
the post office is straight aheadun poco más adelante1.3 (in race, competition) See examples: our team was aheadla oficina de correos está siguiendo rectowe're only one goal aheadnuestro equipo llevaba la delanterathe Japanese are still way ahead in that fieldvamos ganando por solo un gol1.4 (in time) See examples: the years/months aheadlos japoneses siguen estando a la cabeza en ese camposee also → go ahead → think aheadlos años/meses venideroslos próximos años/mesesExample sentences
- ‘Come, we might as well start our journey as we talk,’ he said as he motioned towards the road ahead.
- They're not moving, just gazing ahead toward the Japanese lines.
- A passenger in his car, his son, said he had not been paying attention to the road ahead as they travelled towards their home.
- What steps have been taken, and what's ahead in the near future?
- Having just finished recording his debut album last week, Mike plans to learn more about music, take sound engineering courses and plan ahead for the future.
- Mrs Gilligan, who with her husband and sons runs a thriving dairying farm, believes the new system will give farmers the freedom to plan ahead for the future.
- 2ahead of 2.1 (in front of) 2.2 (in race, competition)por delante deExample sentences2.3 (before) See examples: she got there an hour ahead of everybody else
you will be notified ahead of the meetingllegó una hora antes que los demásAthens is two hours ahead of Londonse le hará saber antes de or [formal] con antelación a la reuniónwe're ahead of timeAtenas va dos horas por delante de Londresen Atenas es dos horas más tarde que en Londresthey arrived ahead of timevamos adelantadospayments ahead of timellegaron antes de la horasee also→ time 1 8 1pagos por adelantado
- Bootham Cons surged ahead to lead 8-1 but Holgate fought back to 10-10 after 11 ends.
- Ecofin's day at the races… And they're coming up the back stretch now and it's Economic Recovery way ahead in the lead.
- Quitting while he was ahead, Shaw led his last big band in 1950.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
In Spain, a geographical, social, and culturally homogeneous region, with a clear natural or administrative demarcation is called a comarca. Comarcas are normally smaller than