Translation of alert in Spanish:
- to be alert(vigilant)estar alerta(lively-minded)to stay alertser despiertoto be alertmantenerse alerta or en guardiaseguir atento or prestando atención
tosomethingestar atento aalgoExample sentences
- At the other end Dermot Byrne almost got clear but Farrell Cuddihy was very alert to clear the danger.
- There are signs that Congress is at least somewhat alert to these dangers.
- Though at times they don't seem to be the most aware of animals, sheep are very alert to mood swings, and this time was no exception.
- on red/amber alertto put somebody on the alerten (estado de) alerta or alarma roja/amarillabe on the alert for any suspicious visitorsponer a alguien en guardiaalertar a alguienestáte alerta or al tanto por si viene alguien sospechosoExample sentences
- The main north-south highway was reopened on Thursday but motorists were urged to remain on alert against possible dangers caused by the continuing heavy rains.
- And now, as his execution by lethal injection nears, some clinics providing abortions are on alert for possible violence.
- But the industry was put on alert about the possible tax rises at a conference this month when a representative from the Revenue said the memoranda would need to be reviewed.
- (troops/police/coastguard)to alert somebodyponer sobre aviso
tosomethingyoung people need to be alerted to the dangers of drug abusese debe alertar a los jóvenes sobre los peligros del consumo de drogasse debe poner en guardia a los jóvenes frente a los peligros del consumo de drogasExample sentences
- Wenger did the game a service by alerting us to the dangers.
- Surely it would make more sense to put up an advert outside a football ground alerting men to the dangers of testicular or prostate cancer?
- A pensioner is lucky to be alive after her dog alerted her to the danger of a fire at her home
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
A portero is a superintendent in an apartment building who looks after it, keeps it clean, delivers mail, and keeps an eye on comings and goings. Porteros often have an apartment in the building as part of their pay. The portero, and particularly the female portera, are part of popular culture. They have a reputation for being inquisitive and fond of gossip.