- (Linguistics)alófono (masculine)Example sentences
- A phone is a realization in sound of a phoneme, and an allophone is one such realization among others: for example, English /n/ is normally alveolar, but is dental before the dental fricative in ‘tenth’.
- The allophone occurs in onset position of stressed syllables whereas the unaspirated allophone [p] occurs after syllable-initial [s].
- (Canadian English) (speaker)(persona cuya lengua materna no es el francés ni el inglés)Example sentences
- In a worried report, a Université de Montréal demographer suggests that so many francophones are moving there that by 2021 allophones and anglophones will combine to form the majority of Montreal's population.
- In Quebec, the linguistic majority abuses the groups they call anglophones and allophones.
- Anglophone, francophone and allophone, we are Canadians, first of all.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.