Translation of allow in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (permit) smoking is not allowedno se permite fumarno children/animals allowedno se admiten niños/animalesto allow somebody to +
infinitivepermitirledon't allow her to talk to you like that aalguien + infinitive/ que+ subjunctiveno le permitas que te hable asíshe wasn't allowed to see a lawyerno se le permitió ver a un abogadoif you'll allow me to finish!¿me permite terminar, por favor?I can't open it — allow me!no puedo abrirlo — permítameto allow oneself to + infinitiveI shouldn't have allowed myself to get angryme debería haber controladohe didn't allow himself to be upset by the newsno dejó que la noticia lo afectarato allow somebody in/outdejar entrar/salir a alguienthey were allowed out once a weekse les permitía salir una vez por semanayou may not be allowed back
los dejaban salir una vez por semanapuede que no te dejen volver a entrarI can't go, I'm not allowedno puedo ir, no me dejanExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (give, grant) they allow their daughter too much freedom
- Adam reckons I'm not allowed to eat in bed when I move in with him, but we'll see about that.
- Because we are prepared to allow people to make their own decisions we cannot be sure just quite where those decisions will take them.
- Faced with these figures, it beggars belief that the Government is prepared to allow people to drink around the clock.
le dan demasiada libertad a su hijathey are allowed an hour for lunchles dan una hora para comerwe allow a discount for cashofrecemos descuento si se paga en efectivohe didn't finish within the time allowedno acabó dentro del plazo concedidoI allow myself only two drinks a daysolo me permito dos copas por díaExample sentences
- Legal powers agreed in 1990 allow officers to enter properties and turn off alarms if the owner fails to do so.
- David has some interesting things to say about the game, and the morally dubious world it allows you to enter.
- Thank you for allowing us to enter the throne room of God with our imperfections and doubts.
- Further questioning revealed that the purpose was to allow flood water to escape more quickly.
- The scarf's purpose is to allow the bobbin case hook to get close to the needle eye and catch the thread to form a stitch.
- The cup of cream for six eggs is there for one purpose only: to allow the recipe to succeed.
- 2 (plan for) you should allow (yourselves) a good two hours to reach the coastcalculen or tengan en cuenta que les va a llevar por lo menos dos horas llegar a la costaplease allow two weeks for deliveryla entrega se hará dentro de un plazo de dos semanasI generally allow about £50 for spending moneynormalmente calculo unas 50 libras para gastosallow 6 cm for the hemdeje 6 cms para el dobladillo
- 3 3.1 (Law)(claim)3.2 (Sport)
aceptar(referee)3.3 (concede) [formal]to allow
dar por bueno
thatreconocerone has to allow that she has talent quehay que reconocer que tiene talentoExample sentences
- He said that it might be possible to amend the Coroner's Act to allow for such a provision to be made.
- In some cases the provision which allows for or requires the thing to be done also prescribes that it must be done personally and not by an agent.
- Typically, there will be a provision in the rules allowing for their variation from time to time.
- The Federal Court has allowed that treatments are patentable.
- I hesitated, but allowed that we'd do sort of a trial run for a few months.
- He should have allowed that the British Empire was made out of empty spaces or, in India, collapsing states.
- The Government has decided not to allow cultural events in the evenings in Lalbagh.
- Swindon Council's planning committee will decide whether to allow the project to go ahead.
- Earlier this month the Federal Justice Minister decided to allow the extradition process to begin.
(contingency)allowing for errors
tener en cuenta
tener en cuenta
teniendo en cuenta posibles erroresif you allow for her inexperience, she has done very well
si se tiene en cuenta su falta de experiencia, lo ha hecho muy biendon't forget to allow for leakage
no te olvides de dejar un margen para pérdidasbuy a large one to allow for shrinkage
compra uno grande por si encoge
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.