- 1 1.1 (permit) permitir smoking is not allowed no se permite fumar no children/animals allowed no se admiten niños/animales to allow sb to +
infpermitirle aalgn + inf/ que+ subjdon't allow her to talk to you like that no le permitas que te hable así she wasn't allowed to see a lawyer no se le permitió ver a un abogado if you'll allow me to finish! ¿me permite terminar, por favor? I can't open it — allow me! no puedo abrirlo — permítame to allow oneself to + infI shouldn't have allowed myself to get angry me debería haber controlado he didn't allow himself to be upset by the news no dejó que la noticia lo afectara to allow sb in/out dejar entrar/salir a algn they were allowed out once a week se les permitía salir una vez por semana, los dejaban salir una vez por semana you may not be allowed back puede que no te dejen volver a entrar I can't go, I'm not allowed no puedo ir, no me dejanMore example sentences
More example sentences1.2 (give, grant) dar* they allow their daughter too much freedom le dan demasiada libertad a su hija they are allowed an hour for lunch les dan una hora para comer we allow a discount for cash ofrecemos descuento si se paga en efectivo he didn't finish within the time allowed no acabó dentro del plazo concedido I allow myself only two drinks a day solo me permito dos copas por día
- Adam reckons I'm not allowed to eat in bed when I move in with him, but we'll see about that.
- Because we are prepared to allow people to make their own decisions we cannot be sure just quite where those decisions will take them.
- Faced with these figures, it beggars belief that the Government is prepared to allow people to drink around the clock.
More example sentences
- Legal powers agreed in 1990 allow officers to enter properties and turn off alarms if the owner fails to do so.
- David has some interesting things to say about the game, and the morally dubious world it allows you to enter.
- Thank you for allowing us to enter the throne room of God with our imperfections and doubts.
- Further questioning revealed that the purpose was to allow flood water to escape more quickly.
- The scarf's purpose is to allow the bobbin case hook to get close to the needle eye and catch the thread to form a stitch.
- The cup of cream for six eggs is there for one purpose only: to allow the recipe to succeed.
- 2 (plan for) you should allow (yourselves) a good two hours to reach the coast calculen or tengan en cuenta que les va a llevar por lo menos dos horas llegar a la costa please allow two weeks for delivery la entrega se hará dentro de un plazo de dos semanas I generally allow about £50 for spending money normalmente calculo unas 50 libras para gastos allow 6 cm for the hem deje 6 cms para el dobladillo
- 3 3.1 [Law] [claim] allanarse a, aceptar 3.2 [Sport] [referee] dar* por bueno 3.3 (concede) [formal] to allow
thatreconocer* queone has to allow that she has talent hay que reconocer que tiene talentoMore example sentences
More example sentences
- He said that it might be possible to amend the Coroner's Act to allow for such a provision to be made.
- In some cases the provision which allows for or requires the thing to be done also prescribes that it must be done personally and not by an agent.
- Typically, there will be a provision in the rules allowing for their variation from time to time.
More example sentences
- The Federal Court has allowed that treatments are patentable.
- I hesitated, but allowed that we'd do sort of a trial run for a few months.
- He should have allowed that the British Empire was made out of empty spaces or, in India, collapsing states.
- The Government has decided not to allow cultural events in the evenings in Lalbagh.
- Swindon Council's planning committee will decide whether to allow the project to go ahead.
- Earlier this month the Federal Justice Minister decided to allow the extradition process to begin.
allow forv + prep + o
- [contingency] tener* en cuenta allowing for errors teniendo en cuenta posibles errores if you allow for her inexperience, she has done very well si se tiene en cuenta su falta de experiencia, lo ha hecho muy bien don't forget to allow for leakage no te olvides de dejar un margen para pérdidas buy a large one to allow for shrinkage compra uno grande por si encoge
allow ofv + prep + o
- [formal] admitir
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Churro is a typical Spanish food, consisting of a long thin cylinder of dough, deep-fried in olive oil and often dusted with sugar. Churros are usually eaten with a thick hot drinking chocolate, especially for breakfast.