- 1 1.1 (reply) respuesta (feminine), contestación (feminine) what was their answer? ¿qué respondieron or contestaron?, ¿cuál fue su respuesta or contestación? there's no answer (to doorbell, phone) no contestan answer
tosth [to question/letter/accusation] respuesta aalgo in answer to your letter en relación con or con relación a su carta in answer to your question para contestar tu pregunta, en repuesta a tu pregunta I can't get an answer out of him no consigo que me dé una respuesta or contestación by way of (an) answer como toda or por toda respuesta he's got an answer for everything! ¡tiene una respuesta para todo! the answer to a maiden's prayer [humorous/humorístico] un príncipe azul to be the answer to sb's prayers llegar* como caído del cielo to know all the answers [colloquial/familiar] saberlo* todo you think you know all the answers, don't you? ¿tú qué te crees? ¿que lo sabes todo? 1.2 (response)answer ( tosth) her answer to his rudeness was to ignore it respondió a su grosería ignorándola Britain's answer to Elvis Presley el Elvis Presley británicoMore example sentences1.3 (plea) [Law/Derecho] contestación (feminine)
- How can these people give anything but the expected answers in such situations?
- The short answer is that this situation really has nothing to do with you.
- He was unprepared and without an answer, and the situation suddenly seemed awkward.
- 2 2.1 (in exam, test, quiz) respuesta (feminine) the answer is 210 la respuesta or solución es 210 2.2 (solution) solución (feminine) violence is not the answer la violencia no es la solución there's only one answer: we'll have to sell the car solo tenemos una solución: vender el coche answer
tosth solución (feminine) dealgo the answer to all their problems la solución de todos sus problemasMore example sentences
More example sentences
- The smallpox dilemma has no simple answers, and making the correct decision may, literally, be a matter of life and death.
- I wish I could conclude this column with a conclusion, but there are no easy answers or solutions.
- There are no miracle solutions, no magical answers, no easy everybody-wins way out.
More example sentences
- Just answer the following question and write your answer on a postcard.
- She wrote ridiculous answers on a history test so she would get an F.
- Dyslexic people get more time, as they find it more difficult to read the question and write the answer.
- I loved the extra cross references, summaries, and test questions complete with the correct answers.
- This test gives you the correct answers after each question and teaches the tricks for answering smarter on the next test!
- Players are then tasked to pick the correct answer from a list of four potential solutions.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 1.1 (reply to) [person/letter] contestar answer your father when he's speaking to you! ¡contéstale a tu padre cuando te habla! we must answer their letter tenemos que contestar (a) su carta I can't answer your question no puedo contestar (a) su pregunta if they ask me where you are, what shall I answer? si me preguntan dónde estás, ¿qué contesto? because it's too far, she answered —porque está muy lejos —contestó or respondió 1.2 [telephone] contestar, atender* (Latin America/América Latina) , coger* (Spain/España) will you answer the door? ¿vas tú (a abrir)? 1.3 [critic/criticism] responder a
- 2 2.1 [need] satisfacer* their prayers were answered el cielo escuchó sus plegarias 2.2 (fit) to answer (to) a description responder a una descripción he saw a woman answering (to) that description vio a una mujer que respondía a esa descripción 2.3 [Nautical/Náutica] to answer the helm obedecer* al timón
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
answer back verb + adverb/verbo + adverbio 1.1 (rudely) [children/subordinate] contestar don't answer back! ¡no contestes! 1.2 (defend oneself) responder a las acusaciones ( or a sus críticos etc) 1.1verb + object + adverb/verbo + complemento + adverbio her son answered her back su hijo le contestó mal or de mala manera
answer forverb + preposition + object/verbo + preposición + complemento 1.1 (accept responsibility for) [conduct/consequences] responder de he'll have to answer for what he did va a tener que responder de or dar cuentas de lo que hizo his parents have a lot to answer for sus padres tienen mucha culpa 1.2 (guarantee) [truth/integrity] garantizar*, responder de; [person] responder por I'll answer for him yo respondo por él 1.3 (reply on behalf of) [others/colleagues] responder or contestar por I can't answer for everyone, but … no puedo responder or contestar por todo el mundo, pero … let him answer for himself deja que conteste él mismo
answer toverb + preposition + object/verbo + preposición + complemento 1.1 (be accountable) to answer to sb (
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Spain had three civil wars known as the guerras carlistas (1833-39, 1860, 1872-76). When Fernando VII died in 1833, he was succeeded not by his brother the Infante Don Carlos de Borbón, but by his daughter Isabel, under the regency of her mother María Cristina. This provoked a mainly northern-Spanish revolt, with local guerrillas pitted against the forces of the central government. The Carlist Wars were also a confrontation between conservative rural Catholic Spain, especially the Basque provinces and Aragón, led by the carlistas, and the progressive liberal urban middle classes allied with the army. Carlos died in 1855, but the carlistas, representing political and religious traditionalism, supported his descendants' claims until reconciliation in 1977 with King Juan Carlos.