Translation of answer in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (reply) what was their answer?¿qué respondieron or contestaron?there's no answer (to doorbell, phone)
¿cuál fue su respuesta or contestación?no contestananswer
tosomething(to question/letter/accusation)in answer to your letter
aalgoen relación con or con relación a su cartain answer to your questionpara contestar tu preguntaI can't get an answer out of him
en repuesta a tu preguntano consigo que me dé una respuesta or contestaciónby way of (an) answercomo toda or por toda respuestahe's got an answer for everything!¡tiene una respuesta para todo!the answer to a maiden's prayer [humorous]un príncipe azulto be the answer to somebody's prayersllegar como caído del cieloto know all the answers [colloquial]saberlo todoyou think you know all the answers, don't you?¿tú qué te crees? ¿que lo sabes todo?Example sentences1.2 (response)answer (
- How can these people give anything but the expected answers in such situations?
- The short answer is that this situation really has nothing to do with you.
- He was unprepared and without an answer, and the situation suddenly seemed awkward.
tosomething)her answer to his rudeness was to ignore itrespondió a su grosería ignorándolaBritain's answer to Elvis Presleyel Elvis Presley británico1.3 (plea) (Law)
- 2 2.1 (in exam, test, quiz) the answer is 210la respuesta or solución es 210Example sentences
Example sentences2.2 (solution) violence is not the answer
- Just answer the following question and write your answer on a postcard.
- She wrote ridiculous answers on a history test so she would get an F.
- Dyslexic people get more time, as they find it more difficult to read the question and write the answer.
la violencia no es la soluciónthere's only one answer: we'll have to sell the carsolo tenemos una solución: vender el cocheanswer
- I loved the extra cross references, summaries, and test questions complete with the correct answers.
- This test gives you the correct answers after each question and teaches the tricks for answering smarter on the next test!
- Players are then tasked to pick the correct answer from a list of four potential solutions.
tosomethingsolución (feminine)the answer to all their problems dealgola solución de todos sus problemasExample sentences
- The smallpox dilemma has no simple answers, and making the correct decision may, literally, be a matter of life and death.
- I wish I could conclude this column with a conclusion, but there are no easy answers or solutions.
- There are no miracle solutions, no magical answers, no easy everybody-wins way out.
- 1 1.1 (reply to)(person/letter)answer your father when he's speaking to you!
contestar¡contéstale a tu padre cuando te habla!we must answer their lettertenemos que contestar (a) su cartaI can't answer your questionno puedo contestar (a) su preguntaif they ask me where you are, what shall I answer?si me preguntan dónde estás, ¿qué contesto?because it's too far, she answered—porque está muy lejos —contestó or respondióExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 will you answer the door?
- When nobody answered, he wrote on the board ‘unfair treatment’.
- ‘Well, Jason, it seems as if Miss Anders was one of the apartment owners,’ he answered, writing my name down on the pad of paper.
- That was a bit funny, and it was interesting to see people's reactions when she answered all the questions that were being thrown at her.
¿vas tú (a abrir)?Example sentences1.3
- As well as being a fascinating read, it is also a fantastic source of general knowledge and a great help in answering quiz questions and solving crossword puzzles.
- Many arrested serial killers took part in the test and answered the question correctly.
- I got exempted from a quiz just for answering a question and then in math, we were going to have a chapter test, but the teacher told us that she thought we were all ready to move on.
- Over the two weeks, she will answer knocks to her door and allow people to handle the relic and pray in her house.
- I knocked and knocked, and nobody answered the door.
- He rang the bell, waiting only seconds before the housekeeper answered the door.
responder aExample sentences
- He was hauled before the Board of Control to answer charges over his behaviour.
- A warrant for his arrest was issued yesterday after he failed to attend court on Friday to answer a new charge of shoplifting.
- He was found to be unfit to answer charges because he was suffering from a brain-wasting disease.
- 2 2.1(need)their prayers were answered
satisfacerel cielo escuchó sus plegariasExample sentences2.2 (fit) to answer (to) a description
responder a una descripciónhe saw a woman answering (to) that descriptionvio a una mujer que respondía a esa descripción2.3 (Nautical)to answer the helmobedecer al timón
- Freight transport by inland waterways is particularly suitable to answer Russia's needs.
- It answers their need for an excuse to go straight, while not at the same time surrendering to the morality of a society they believe has wronged them deeply.
- Literary translation, especially of the great works of the past, never answers a pressing need, nor is it a competitive activity.
- 1verb + adverb 1.1 (rudely)
- 1 (accept responsibility for)
- 1 (be accountable)to answer to somebody (
(children/subordinate)don't answer back!
¡no contestes!1.2 (defend oneself)
responder a las acusaciones2verb + object + adverbher son answered her back
responder a sus críticos
responder a sus críticos
su hijo le contestó mal or de mala manera
(conduct/consequences)he'll have to answer for what he did
va a tener que responder de or dar cuentas de lo que hizohis parents have a lot to answer for
sus padres tienen mucha culpa2 (guarantee)
(person)I'll answer for him
yo respondo por él3 (reply on behalf of)
(others/colleagues)I can't answer for everyone, but …
no puedo responder or contestar por todo el mundo, pero …let him answer for himself
deja que conteste él mismo
responder2 (dog/cat)it answers to the name of Bob
ante alguien ( de algo)
responde al nombre de Bob3→ answer 2 2 2 4 (obey, respond to)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.