Translation of antedate in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- [event] ser* anterior a, anteceder a, preceder a; [building/manuscript] datar de un período anterior a it antedates the Napoleonic era es anterior a la época napoleónica, data de un período anterior a la época napoleónica it antedated Modernism by 50 years fue 50 años anterior al modernismoExample sentences
- The conflict that the book is about can also be interpreted as a conflict not between Islam and Christianity but between Europe and Afro-Asia whose origin antedates the rise of Islam.
- THE PRACTICE OF land-value taxation is deeply rooted in Danish history, going back at least to the reign of Valdemar the Great, and possibly even antedating the Viking king, Sven Forkbeard.
- This technique recalls medieval recipes antedating the invention of the pudding cloth.
- More than 300 words and phrases are being examined, with OED researchers hoping to antedate them (find an earlier use) or postdate them (find a recent example to prove a word is still in use).
- He was later tried for having antedated a consulting bill, but was acquitted.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Sherry is produced in an area of chalky soil known as albariza lying between the towns of Puerto de Santa María, Sanlúcar de Barrameda, and Jerez de la Frontera in Cádiz province. It is from Jerez that sherry takes its English name. Sherries, made from grape varieties including Palomino and Pedro Ximénez, are drunk worldwide as an aperitif, and in Spain as an accompaniment to