Translation of anticipate in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (expect) the police do not anticipate violencela policía no prevé actos de violenciaI don't anticipate any problemsno creo que vaya a haber ningún problemait was more difficult than anticipatedresultó más difícil de lo que se había previsto or de lo que se esperabato anticipate
-ingtener previsto +we don't anticipate making any major changes infinitiveno tenemos previsto hacer ningún cambio importante1.2 (look forward to) an eagerly anticipated eventun acontecimiento esperado con ansiedadExample sentences
- This should draw a huge crowd to O'Hara Park as the clash will be eagerly awaited and anticipated by players, fans and supporters alike of both teams.
- He spent his early years basking in the glow of late-night radio, listening to big-band jazz blasting live from hotels across London and eagerly anticipating the next hot chorus.
- Carl and Kim had been eagerly anticipating the birth after Kim, a 33-year-old insurance account executive, discovered she was pregnant last year.
- 2 2.1 (foresee and act accordingly)(movements/objections/needs)I anticipated the blow
prevervi venir el golpe2.2 (preempt)anticiparse athey anticipated us by publishing their version first
adelantarse ase nos anticiparon or adelantaron publicando antes su versiónExample sentences
- The basis of the case I had prepared neither required nor anticipated such witness attendance and perhaps with hindsight I should have walked away at this stage.
- And so we are prepared to anticipate those requests.
- Of course we had anticipated this, had prepared Lucky for Stone's questions.
- 3 3.1(income/inheritance)
gastar de antemano(command)3.2 (be precursor of)
anticiparse or adelantarse aanticiparse aExample sentences
- While he professed a disdain for pure theory, Giblin anticipated some elements of the relationship between trade, national income, and employment that informed Keynesian economics.
- His theory of imperialism anticipated European unification and contradictions associated today with globalization of production and markets.
- Bolzano's theories of mathematical infinity anticipated Georg Cantor's theory of infinite sets.
- Argyle said it's just what was anticipated when long-range forecasts predicted up to 10 days without significant rain for most of the province.
- Formal orders in this regard are anticipated in a day or so.
- Given what is at stake the winners can anticipate a probable quarter-final against Wales.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.