Translation of anticipate in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 1.1 (expect) the police do not anticipate violence la policía no prevé actos de violencia I don't anticipate any problems no creo que vaya a haber ningún problema it was more difficult than anticipated resultó más difícil de lo que se había previsto or de lo que se esperaba to anticipate
-ingtener* previsto + infinitive/infinitivowe don't anticipate making any major changes no tenemos previsto hacer ningún cambio importante 1.2 (look forward to) esperar an eagerly anticipated event un acontecimiento esperado con ansiedadExample sentences
- This should draw a huge crowd to O'Hara Park as the clash will be eagerly awaited and anticipated by players, fans and supporters alike of both teams.
- He spent his early years basking in the glow of late-night radio, listening to big-band jazz blasting live from hotels across London and eagerly anticipating the next hot chorus.
- Carl and Kim had been eagerly anticipating the birth after Kim, a 33-year-old insurance account executive, discovered she was pregnant last year.
- 2 2.1 (foresee and act accordingly) [movements/objections/needs] prever* I anticipated the blow vi venir* el golpe 2.2 (preempt) anticiparse a, adelantarse a they anticipated us by publishing their version first se nos anticiparon or adelantaron publicando antes su versiónExample sentences
- The basis of the case I had prepared neither required nor anticipated such witness attendance and perhaps with hindsight I should have walked away at this stage.
- And so we are prepared to anticipate those requests.
- Of course we had anticipated this, had prepared Lucky for Stone's questions.
- 3 3.1 [income/inheritance] gastar de antemano; [command] anticiparse or adelantarse a 3.2 (be precursor of) anticiparse aExample sentences
- While he professed a disdain for pure theory, Giblin anticipated some elements of the relationship between trade, national income, and employment that informed Keynesian economics.
- His theory of imperialism anticipated European unification and contradictions associated today with globalization of production and markets.
- Bolzano's theories of mathematical infinity anticipated Georg Cantor's theory of infinite sets.
- Argyle said it's just what was anticipated when long-range forecasts predicted up to 10 days without significant rain for most of the province.
- Formal orders in this regard are anticipated in a day or so.
- Given what is at stake the winners can anticipate a probable quarter-final against Wales.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Sherry is produced in an area of chalky soil known as albariza lying between the towns of Puerto de Santa María, Sanlúcar de Barrameda, and Jerez de la Frontera in Cádiz province. It is from Jerez that sherry takes its English name. Sherries, made from grape varieties including Palomino and Pedro Ximénez, are drunk worldwide as an aperitif, and in Spain as an accompaniment to