Translation of antiquity in Spanish:
noun plural antiquities
- 1 uncountable 1.1 (ancient times) in antiquityen la antigüedad
en el mundo antiguoExample sentences1.2 (age) a carving of great antiquity
una talla muy antigua or de gran antigüedadExample sentences
- Some of the classical cities of antiquity, notably Athens and Rome, became dependent on trade by sea to import the building materials and foodstuffs necessary to maintain both their populations and their navies.
- The poem was accepted as Hesiod's in antiquity, but various indications point to the period 580-520 BC.
- Its counterpart in antiquity was not Plato's philosophy, but Ptolemy's astronomy, which depended on actual measurements, while the former sought eternal truth beyond all possible measurement.
- It is an unwritten code that wherever possible churches with antiquity would be preserved.
- Montesquieu, Smith and Tocqueville were forced to theorize about the antiquity of the institutions and culture which underlay modernity and its origins in England.
- Historians continue to debate the antiquity and plausibility of his discovery.
- 2also: antiquities plural(buildings, objects)antigüedades (feminine plural)Example sentences
- Paintings, works on paper and antiquities were stored and displayed in various buildings throughout the campus.
- Defying the age of celebrity, and resisting the lucrative market for antiquities, the property owner kept mum about his treasure for decades.
- Gauguin's primitivist pottery lives happily within the same walls as ancient Egyptian antiquities.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.