- 1 1.1 (separated) they have lived apart for some years hace ya algunos años que viven separados keep them apart manténgalos separados why does she always sit apart? ¿por qué se sienta siempre sola? her intelligence set her apart se destacaba por su inteligencia a thing/woman apart una cosa/mujer distinta or especial see also tell apartMore example sentences1.2 (into pieces) the building was blown apart el edificio voló en mil pedazos the girl pulled the doll apart la niña desarmó la muñeca see alsocome apart fall apart take apart etc
More example sentences
- Asking for things you know your partner won't want to do is likely to make you feel further apart, not closer together.
- Intimacy then becomes cold and degrading, leading the couple farther apart, not closer together.
- The Germans found, however, that living apart slows the decline in female libido, confirming the maxim ‘absence makes the heart grow fonder’.
- I was going to take her words apart piece by piece.
- And then you start tearing it apart in bits and pieces and start writing notes to yourself, remember in scene so and so you're going to do so and so, so set it up now.
- The blast, which occurred at around 11.40 am, ripped apart piece of the pavement, throwing concrete and other debris on the roadway.
- 2 (distant) the two capitals are hundreds of miles apart las dos capitales se encuentran a cientos de millas (de distancia) una de otra in places as far apart as Tokyo and Paris en lugares tan alejados el uno del otro como Tokio y París when it comes to politics, he and I are miles apart en lo que se refiere a política, estamos a años luz el uno del otro the first and second interviews are weeks apart hay varias semanas entre la primera y la segunda entrevistaMore example sentences
- Lie on your back, legs straight, and extend your arms overhead, stretching your hands and feet as far apart as possible.
- She stayed in one place, her feet about as far apart as her shoulders, and really only her legs moved.
- The passing of our friend Schwartz is being noted in venues as far apart as The Independent and The Cleveland Plain Dealer.
- 3 (excluded) (after n) these faults apart, it is a very good piece of work aparte de or fuera de estos defectos, es un trabajo muy bueno joking apart, he is an excellent swimmer fuera de bromas or hablando en serio, nada muy bien
- 4apart from (as prep) 4.1 (except for) excepto, menos, aparte de I liked them all apart from the yellow one todas me gustaron excepto or menos la amarilla apart from him we're all satisfied aparte de él or exceptuándolo a él, todos estamos satisfechos 4.2 (discounting) aparte de quite apart from the time it would take, I can't afford it aparte or independientemente del tiempo que me tomaría, no puedo permitírmelo 4.3 (separated from) why does she always sit apart from the rest of the group? ¿por qué se sienta siempre apartada del resto del grupo?More example sentences
More example sentences
- I'm still wondering about the man in the plumed turban standing apart and detached watching sailors and vendors at work.
- A cynic would say that this writer who claimed to stand alone and apart was actually quite prepared to lose himself in the herd.
- The question that can be asked is: can a certain percentage of replenishable groundwater be considered to be set apart for agriculture?
- Financial considerations apart, was he worth all that palaver?
- Though joking apart and with an eye on why we admire the Austin Ambassador so damn much, that crude range of engines were all service friendly and able to hit a hundred thousand miles with the right amount of care.
- Jokes apart, she's also been a convincing character actress.
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Santería is a religious cult, fusing African beliefs and Catholicism, which developed among African Yoruba slaves in Cuba. Followers believe both in a single supreme being and also in orishas, deities who each share an identity with a Christian saint and who combine a force of nature with human characteristics. Rituals involve music, dancing, sacrificial offerings, divination, and going into trances.