Translation of apology in Spanish:
noun plural -gies
- 1 1.1 (expression of regret) (often plural) please accept my apologiesle ruego me disculpeto offer one's apologiesdisculparseJim sends his apologies, but he can't come
presentar sus ( or mis etc) disculpas or excusas [formal]Jim ha dicho que lo siente mucho pero no puede venirI think I owe you an apologycreo que le debo una disculpato make no apology for somethingI make no apology for bringing up the subjectno tengo ningún reparo en sacar el tema a colaciónI make no apology for my remarksno me arrepiento de lo que dijeExample sentences1.2 (for not attending meeting) (British English) apologies from J Brown
J Brown envía sus excusas por no poder asistir
- Have been severely incapacitated by latest pregnancy symptoms so apologies for absence.
- Other councillors, who were unable to attend, sent their apologies and offered their support.
- At the February meeting of the Association three new members were welcomed and despite some apologies the meeting was very well attended.
- 2 2.1 (poor specimen)apology
forsomethingit's an apology for a teames un remedo de equipoan apology for a marriageuna farsa de matrimonioExample sentences2.2→ apologia
- It is all very well to talk about Pub City and Fun City, but it all happens in this poor apology of a downtown, a very long way off from the workplace that gets longer by the day with every additional vehicle they buy.
- Its American cousin makes a poor apology for a nest, it is true, merely a loose bundle or platform of sticks, as flimsily put together as a dove's nest.
- But in this sorry apology for a summer, show day on Sunday dawned with glorious sunshine and warm temperatures.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.