Translation of apology in Spanish:
noun/nombre (plural -gies)
- 1 1.1 (expression of regret) (often plural/frecuentemente plural) disculpa (feminine), excusa (feminine) please accept my apologies le ruego me disculpe to offer one's apologies disculparse, excusarse [formal], presentar sus ( or mis etc) disculpas or excusas [formal] Jim sends his apologies, but he can't come Jim ha dicho que lo siente mucho pero no puede venir I think I owe you an apology creo que le debo una disculpa to make no apology for sth I make no apology for bringing up the subject no tengo ningún reparo en sacar el tema a colación I make no apology for my remarks no me arrepiento de lo que dijeExample sentences1.2 (for not attending meeting) (British English/inglés británico) apologies from J Brown J Brown envía sus excusas por no poder asistir
- Have been severely incapacitated by latest pregnancy symptoms so apologies for absence.
- Other councillors, who were unable to attend, sent their apologies and offered their support.
- At the February meeting of the Association three new members were welcomed and despite some apologies the meeting was very well attended.
- 2 2.1 (poor specimen)apology
forsth it's an apology for a team es un remedo de equipo an apology for a marriage una farsa de matrimonio 2.2apologiaExample sentences
- It is all very well to talk about Pub City and Fun City, but it all happens in this poor apology of a downtown, a very long way off from the workplace that gets longer by the day with every additional vehicle they buy.
- Its American cousin makes a poor apology for a nest, it is true, merely a loose bundle or platform of sticks, as flimsily put together as a dove's nest.
- But in this sorry apology for a summer, show day on Sunday dawned with glorious sunshine and warm temperatures.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Did you know that Antena 3 was Spain's first private television channel? It began broadcasting in 1989. Its proprietors include the conservative newspapers La Vanguardia and ABC.