Translation of approach in Spanish:
aproximarse(summer/date)the time is fast approaching when …
aproximarsese acerca rápidamente el momento en que …Example sentences
- In the distance could be heard approaching sirens.
- I yelled, all of a sudden feeling frantic as I heard the train approaching the platform above me.
- He could see, very faintly, a legion of soldiers in the distance, also approaching the forest.
- The Mitta Mitta rose to the occasion with a river level of 1.7m, approaching the 2m cut-off mark when nobody is permitted to kayak or raft the river.
- Second generation bean leaf beetles are emerging now and beetles numbers will be approaching their highest levels for the summer.
- It also will be impossible for the two teams to approach the Bucs' level of effectiveness.
- 1 (draw near to)(person/building/place)he was approaching 50
aproximarse or acercarse ase acercaba a los 50their sales will never approach ours
tenía casi 50 añossus ventas nunca alcanzarán el nivel de las nuestras ni mucho menossomething approaching half a kiloalrededor de medio kilo
casi medio kilo
- 2 (talk to) have you approached her about it?¿ya se lo ha planteado?he approached me for a loan/reference
¿ya ha hablado con ella del asunto?se dirigió a mí para pedirme un préstamo/una recomendaciónseveral companies approached usvarias compañías se pusieron en contacto con nosotrosshe was approached by a man in the streetun hombre la abordó en la calleshe approached me with an idea for a playme abordó para hablarme de una idea que tenía para una obra de teatroto be easy/difficult to approachser/no ser muy accesible
- 3 (tackle, deal with) approach your subject with an open mindaborda el tema sin ideas preconcebidasExample sentences
- One of your arguments is that a relevant matter in approaching our constitutional problem is that the respondent is resident in South Australia.
- We cannot have a situation in which 43 different police forces approach the same problem in 43 different ways.
- In order not to be consumed by it, I have to approach difficult problems with a healthy detachment.
- 1 countable (method, outlook) approach
tosomethinghe's adopted a new approach to his teachingles ha dado un nuevo enfoque a sus métodos pedagógicoslet's try a different approach to the problemenfoquemos el problema de otra maneramy approach has been to appoint young peoplemi política ha sido emplear a gente jovenExample sentences
- It equates belief systems with what informs your approach to a situation, and evaluates the system by the results.
- You are diplomatic and cautious in your approach to sticky situations.
- A major plus would be his measured approach to situations, giving due weight to consequences.
- 2 countable (overture)(offering something) propuesta (feminine)to make approaches o an approach to somebodyhacerle una propuesta ( or una solicitud etc) a alguienI've had an approach from a publisherhe recibido una propuesta de una editorialwe have received several approaches for helphemos recibido varias peticiones or pedidos de ayudaExample sentences
- She said a survey had been carried out in Tosside following an approach from a planning agent on behalf of a local landowner.
- It has already indicated that it has received an approach from a mystery bidder now known to be a private equity group.
- The company is braced for an approach from its German rival with a plan that will see them merge their core operations.
- 3 uncountable (drawing near) he looked up at my approachlevantó la vista cuando me acerquéhe announced the troops' approachanunció que las tropas se estaban acercando or aproximandoat the approach of winteral acercarse el inviernothe pilot made his approachel piloto efectuó las maniobras de aproximación(before noun) (lights/speed) (Aviation)de aproximaciónExample sentences
- The approach and landing were uneventful and the crew and aircraft were recovered safely.
- He set up for a half-flap approach and lowered the landing gear with the emergency system.
- Keep the ball in the middle in all phases of the approach to align the aircraft for maximum efficiency.
- 4 countable (means of entering) all approaches to the city were blockedtodos los accesos a la ciudad estaban bloqueadosthe approach to the harbor is very narrowla entrada al puerto es muy estrechaExample sentences
- Three new pedestrian islands will be built and an anti-skid coating applied in Brunshaw Road on the approaches to the roundabout.
- The war caused the temporary suspension of this plan; nevertheless, a sum of £6,600 was spent on concreting the quay roads and approaches to the berths.
- The minehunters had been in the area clearing unexploded weapons, including mines, from the approaches to the port.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.