- 1.1 [Archeol] arcaicoMore example sentences1.2 [Ling] [word/use] arcaico; [style] arcaizante
More example sentences1.3 (antiquated) [custom/ideas] arcaico
- Schaps, however, underestimates the market orientation of Greek agriculture in the later archaic period.
- This city was settled by Phoenicians in the archaic period and it challenged the rising Roman Republic in three wars culminating in its own destruction in the second century B.C.E.
- Concerning the archaic period, Reed admits that he is engaging in ‘cautious guesswork’.
More example sentences
- They may have translated the archaic terms into scientific-sounding language, but it's the same old vitalism, dressed up as quantum physics.
- Because they are short or perceived as popular, certain archaic words survive in newspaper usage: agog, foe, hustings, scribe, slay.
- Elevation is lent to his language by archaic and poetic words and an admixture of neologisms, while his extensive use of metaphor more closely resembles poetic than prose usage.
- The company also plans to pay artists a higher royalty for songs downloaded online, while scrapping archaic methods for calculating Internet sales.
- Director of the Scottish Tourist Forum, Ivan Broussine, warned that archaic attitudes were threatening the health of the tourist industry.
- In short, the modernization of economic structures leads to a rise, rather than a decline, in archaic attitudes of mind.
Browse other language resources
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Cultural fact of the day
Today is a public holiday in Peru (Día de la Independencia)