Translation of area in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (geographical) in the New York area1.2 (urban) the area around the docksen la zona or el área de Nueva Yorkthe area we live inla zona del puertothere have been several burglaries in the areael barrio en el que vivimosla zona donde vivimosthe houses in the immediate area of the factoryha habido varios robos en la zona or la vecindadlas casas situadas en las inmediaciones or los alrededores de la fábrica
- 2 (part of room, building, plot) play areathe library is a no-smoking areazona (feminine) de recreoen la biblioteca no se puede fumarExample sentences
- Outside, the front garden features a large lawn, a tiled patio area and space to park a fleet of cars.
- It would also include a new corridor, an extended reception area and improved office space.
- The interconnecting breakfast area has plenty of space for a family-sized table.
- 3 (expanse, patch) See examples: the shaded area represents …areas of cloud across the South-Westel área sombreada representa …there are few open areas left in the citynubosidad sobre el sudoesteapply the ointment to the affected areasquedan pocos espacios abiertos en la ciudadthe wreckage of the plane was scattered over a wide areaaplicar el ungüento a las partes afectadaslos restos del avión siniestrado quedaron esparcidos sobre una extensa zona
- 4 (Mathematics)(of room, land)12 square meters in area12 metros cuadrados de superficieExample sentences
- The green is four feet square in area, and cut on the side of a 75-degree slope.
- By the time the job was done, the bedroom had decreased in area by four square metres.
- The two areas had a varied degree of protection against poaching despite being of a similar size in area.
- 5 (field, sphere) area of competenceit's an area of difficulty/controversyárea or terreno de competenciaan area of concernes un terreno difícil/polémicoto identify problem areasun tema que preocupaidentificar problemasExample sentences
- Macquarie held the view that rural areas should have towns constructed as service centres and places of government.
- Up to 100,000 people move from towns into rural areas a year, said the minister.
- Thirty-seven percent of those travelers were heading to small towns or rural areas.
- General repairs and maintenance - outside these three key areas - are not subject to the new laws.
- They share this preoccupation with other disciplines and interdisciplinary subject areas in the humanities.
- States are rational or instrumental actors, always seeking to maximize their interests in all issue areas.
- 6 (Sport)also: penalty areaárea (feminine (with masculine article in the singular)) (de castigo)Example sentences
- Ronaldo rushes into the area and draws a decent save from Mirzapour with his left foot.
- Milton teased him with a clever low free-kick from outside the area that swished past the wall and out of reach at the near post.
- Riggott tripped Alan Mahon on the left side of the area and Dunn sent Oakes the wrong way from the penalty spot.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Opus Dei - Latin for "God's Work" - is a Catholic organization founded in Spain in 1928. The Opus became very influential in Spanish society, above all by founding schools and universities. The aim was to create an élite which would spread Christian ideals throughout society. The University of Navarre is one of its foremost institutions.