- 1 (Anatomy) to give/offer somebody one's armdarle/ofrecerle el brazo a alguiento take somebody's armtomar or (especially Spain) coger a alguien del or por el brazothey walked along arm in arm he walked in with his new bride on his armentró con su flamante esposa del brazohe had a newspaper under his armtraía un periódico bajo el or debajo del brazoto put one's arms around somebodyabrazar a alguiento throw one's arms around somebodyecharle los brazos al cuello a alguienshe threw her arms around his neck they walked with their arms around each otheriban abrazadoswithin arm's reach in the arms of another manen brazos de otro hombrehe fell into her arms they flew into each other's armscorrieron a abrazarsethe measure threw his supporters into the arms of the oppositionla medida hizo que los que lo apoyaban se volcaran a la oposiciónas long as your o my arm [colloquial]más largo que un día sin pan [colloquial]the long arm of the law
largo como esperanza de pobre (River Plate area) [colloquial]el brazo de la leyto chance one's arm to cost an arm and a leg [colloquial]costar un ojo de la cara or un riñón [colloquial]to keep somebody at arm's lengthguardar las distancias con alguiento put the arm on somebody (American English) [colloquial]he put the arm on me for more moneyme presionó para que le diera más dineromy suppliers are putting the arm on melos proveedores me están apretando para que les pagueto twist somebody's armyou'll have to twist his arm to get him to donatevas a tener que presionarlo or (Chile) doblarle la mano para que contribuyahave another one — ok, if you twist my arm [humorous]anda, tómate otro — bueno, si te empeñas or ya que insistesto welcome somebody with open armsrecibir a alguien con (los) brazos abiertos→ tie 2 1 2
- to arm somebody
armar a alguien
deor conalgo(with tools/information)to arm oneself
proveer a alguien
dealgoarmarsethey armed themselves with clubs and knivesse armaron de or con porras y cuchillossee also→ armedExample sentences
- Derek, Richard and Wade didn't even have to have me tell them to start going to their rooms and begin arming themselves with body armour and other weapons.
- Nor was it in dispute that he had armed himself with a CS gas canister before going out.
- The complainant during the trial said that he had not armed himself with the knife and that the knife had been in the kitchen drawer.
- On a typical Holi day, preparations begin by arming oneself with shades of brightly colored powder and water guns.
- He claimed that we'd all be a lot safer if researchers would keep details about vulnerabilities to themselves, and stop arming hackers with offensive tools.
- If I really want some chips, I pick up a single-size serving, and I steer clear of the vending machine, arming myself by preparing fruits and vegetables as snacks.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.