Translation of around in Spanish:
around often appears as the second element of certain verb structures in English ( fool around, knock around, move around, etc). For translations, see the relevant verb entry ( fool, knock, move, etc).
- 1 1.1 (in a circle) around and around they droveestuvieron dando vueltas y vueltas con el cocheExample sentences1.2 (so as to face in different direction) she glanced around
echó un vistazo a su alrededorsee also → look around → turn around etcExample sentences1.3 (on all sides) all around are towering skyscrapers
- Today's Question: Which Celebrity would you most like to drive around for an hour with?
- So hanging out was good, we talked about something else and drove around and had all in all a nice time.
- I have now been driving this Kia around for about five days and have discovered that it goes like the clappers.
todo alrededor hay rascacielos altísimosthere's nothing for miles aroundno hay nada en millas a la redondaeveryone crowded aroundtodo el mundo se apiñó alrededorExample sentences1.4 (in circumference)
- Being able to wander around aimlessly is the best way to see things that you'd normally never see, new bands.
- I wandered aimlessly around thinking about the play and failing to find a wireless hotspot.
- Sailors in bleached white uniforms wander around trying to convince themselves they are having fun.
de circunferenciait is 12m aroundtiene 12m de circunferencia
- Victoria Mill chimney in Skipton is a landmark easily visible for miles around.
- It would affect residents the whole length of its route and would be visible for miles around.
- First, Debenhams have the last say in which shops are situated around them.
- 2 2.1 (in the vicinity) is John around?¿anda or está John por ahí?there's no one aroundaquí no hay nadiehe's around somewhere, he's somewhere aroundanda por ahíI'm usually around after eightsuelo estar a partir de las ocho(I'll) see you around! [colloquial]Example sentences2.2 (in existence) [colloquial]computers weren't around in those days
en aquellos tiempos no había computadorasshe's the only person around who really understandses la única persona que entiende de verdadthe idea had been around for quite a whilela idea no era nuevain 40 years none of us will be arounddentro de 40 años vamos a estar todos bajo tierrait's the best one aroundes lo mejor que hay (en plaza)
- There are old people's flats around and they feel threatened with the rowdy behavior of these kids.
- They know they are not going to be around when Livingstone takes over the tube.
- It's been tough for Dav, tough for the board and tough for everyone around.
- 3 3.1 (from one place, person to another) the dog followed us aroundel perro nos seguía a todas partesshe showed us aroundnos mostró or enseñó la casa ( or la fábrica etc)he knows his way aroundconoce la ciudad ( or la zona etc)she offered the chocolates aroundle ofreció bombones a todo el mundothere's a rumor going aroundcorre un rumorI phoned aroundhice unas cuantas llamadashe's been around [colloquial]
llamé a varios sitiostiene mucho mundo3.2 (to and fro) she was rolling around on the floorse revolcaba por el sueloshe was waving a knife aroundblandía un cuchillohe prefers to travel around on his ownprefiere viajar soloshe rummaged around in her bagrevolvió en el bolso
- 4 (at, to different place) I'll be around at Angela'sestaré en casa de Angelashe sent me around to the bankme mandó al bancowe had some friends around for a mealinvitamos a unos amigos a comer
- 5 (approximately) she's around my agetiene más o menos mi edadhe must be around 35debe (de) tener unos 35at around five thirty
debe (de) andar por los 35alrededor de or a eso de las cinco y mediaaround two million people
sobre las cinco y media (Spain)unos dos millones de personasshe was born around 1660nació alrededor de 1660around the turn of the centuryhacia finales de siglothey flower around mid-Juneflorecen hacia mediados de junioExample sentences
- You can be in your hotel room within around five hours of leaving Bolton, if you fly.
- The journey is around 200 miles, and they will arrive in a couple of days in his hired carriage.
- It was a long drive to our next stop - around 160 miles to the east on the coast at Torrent.
- 1 (encircling) they sat around the fireestaban sentados alrededor del fuegohe put his arm around herla rodeó con el brazothey sailed around the worlddieron la vuelta al mundo en un veleroshe looked around hermiró a su alrededorthe myths that have grown up around these eventslos mitos que han surgido en torno a estos acontecimientos
- 2 2.1 (in the vicinity of) places to visit around Madridlugares para visitar alrededor de Madriddo you live around here?¿vives por or cerca de aquí?2.2 (within, through) I had things to do around the housetenía cosas que hacer en casathey traveled around Europeviajaron por Europashe took them around the houseles mostró or enseñó la casa
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.