- detención (feminine), arresto (masculine) to make an arrest hacer* una detención or un arresto to be under arrest estar* detenido or arrestado he's under arrest on a robbery charge ha sido detenido or arrestado acusado de robo you're under arrest queda detenido or arrestado to put o place sb under arrest detener* or arrestar a algn to resist arrest resistirse a la autoridadMore example sentences
- In Lindley the defendant had been taken into police custody upon arrest for disorderly behaviour.
- These are separate categories, but it does not follow that in every case of unlawful arrest by a police officer exemplary damages are appropriate.
- The internal report will provide valuable ammunition for the Hamiltons who have said they intend to sue Scotland Yard for unlawful arrest and detention.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 3 (hold, detain) [literary/literario] atraer* to arrest sb's attention atraer* la atención de algn
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Every year the charitable Fundación Príncipe de Asturias makes eight awards in various categories. They are presented by the Príncipe de Asturias, the heir to the Spanish throne, in the Asturian city of Oviedo. The prize includes a monetary reward of 50,000 euros and a sculpture by the Catalan artist Joan Miró. Winners have included: the writers Umberto Eco and Mario Vargas Llosa; the politicians Nelson Mandela and Yasser Arafat; the organization Médecins sans Frontières; the scientist Stephen Hawking; and the golfer Severiano Ballesteros.