- 1 1.1 (when, while) cuando I saw the car as it turned the corner vi el coche cuando daba vuelta (a) la esquina as she was eating breakfast, the telephone rang cuando or mientras tomaba el desayuno, sonó el teléfono as you go toward the bank, it's the first house on the left yendo hacia el banco, es la primera casa a mano izquierda as I sit here, I wonder what went wrong sentado aquí, me pregunto qué fue lo que pasóMore example sentences1.2 (indicating progression) a medida que we buy the materials as (and when) we need them compramos los materiales a medida que or según los vamos necesitando he mellowed as he grew older se fue ablandando con los años
- She watched him as he approached her.
- I grabbed the keys to the store as I left.
- The ice continued to melt, but as it did so, I continued to slip deeper into the unknown.
- 2 (because, since) como as it was getting late, we decided to leave como se hacía tarde, decidimos irnosMore example sentences
- There are concerns for her as she was ill before she vanished.
- Athlone requested the game be played before Christmas instead of January 8 as students will be on holiday.
- Children's charities would like more help distributed through child benefit, as it is paid to all children through their mother.
- 3 (though) try as he might, he could not open it por más que trató, no pudo abrirlo (as) tall as she is, she still had to stand on a chair to reach it alta como es, se tuvo que subir a una silla para alcanzarlo (as) strange as it may seem por extraño que parezca, aunque parezca extraño much as I agree with you, I cannot allow it aun estando de acuerdo contigo como estoy, no lo puedo permitir
- 4 4.1 (expressing comparison, contrast) igual que, como he writes with his left hand, as I do escribe con la mano izquierda, como yo or igual que yo she sang wonderfully, as only she can cantó maravillosamente, como solo ella sabe hacerlo in the 1980s, as in the 30s en la década de los 80, al igual que en la de los 30 4.2 (in generalizations) como as is often the case como suele suceder it's quite reasonable, as restaurants go para como están los restaurantes, es bastante razonable 4.3 (in accordance with) como as I was saying como iba diciendo the situation, as we understand it, is … la situación, tal como nosotros la entendemos, es … as you'll agree, the system is inefficient estarás de acuerdo conmigo en que el sistema es ineficienteMore example sentences
More example sentences
- I'm used to all kinds of hard work, as you know, and I'm not afraid.
- However, as I mentioned earlier, most people are totally unaware of the East Village Arts District.
- Lee was a night-time security guard as I recall, not a cop.
- Try as she might, she can't keep her troubled family from fragmenting.
- But, good as he is, he was not the only reason to enjoy the film.
- Unless you are of a particularly curious bent, you would not even wish to sit down and eat with these people - dazzlingly clever as they undoubtedly are.
- 5 5.1 (in the way that) como I love her as I would my own daughter la quiero como a una hija A is to B as X is to Y A es a B como X es a Y do as you wish haz lo que quieras or lo que te parezca or [colloquial/familiar] lo que te dé la gana do as I say haz lo que te digo she sang as never before cantó como nunca she arrived the next day, as planned/expected llegó al día siguiente como se había planeado/como se esperaba they proceeded as instructed procedieron de acuerdo a las instrucciones recibidas use form A or B as appropriate use el formulario A o B, según corresponda as things stand tal (y) como están las cosas knowing him as I do conociéndolo como lo conozco 5.2 (defining) it would be the end of civilization as we know it significaría el fin de la civilización tal y como la conocemos I'm only interested in the changes as they affect me solo me interesan los cambios en la medida en que me afectan a mí Sri Lanka, or Ceylon, as it used to be known Sri Lanka, o Ceilán, como se llamaba antes Paris as seen by tourists is a very different city el París que ven los turistas es una ciudad muy distinta their position, as opposed to ours su postura, en contraste con la nuestra 5.3 (in phrases/en locuciones) as it is we can't publish it as it is no podemos publicarlo tal y como está, no podemos publicarlo así como está the system, as it is at present el sistema, tal y como es ahora we've got too much work as it is ya tenemos demasiado trabajo as it were por así decirlo as was our new president, our secretary as was el nuevo presidente, exsecretario de nuestra organización Sri Lanka or Ceylon as was Sri Lanka o la antigua CeilánMore example sentences
- Thank you Mrs Peck, as usual you have been very helpful.
- Since the mother is ill, she may not be able to care for her baby as she would if she were well.
- The bout was, as was the case back then, a slow-paced fight compared to the fights of today.
- 6 (in comparisons of equal degree) as … as tan … como I am as tall as you (are) soy tan alta como tú I left as soon as I could manage me fui en cuanto pude there weren't as many people as (there were) last time no había tanta gente como la última vez I bought as much as I usually do compré tanto como de costumbre she's not as efficient as she claims to be no es tan eficiente como pretende as many people as ask will be helped se ayudará a cuantas personas lo soliciten I'm as much a patriot as any of you soy tan patriota como cualquiera de ustedes she ran as fast as she could corrió tan rápido como pudo or lo más deprisa que pudo tighten it up as much as you can apriétalo lo más que puedas the sky was as blue as blue could be el cielo estaba azul, azul I'll be as quiet as possible estaré lo más callado posible
- 7as if/as though como si (followed by subjunctive/seguido por subjuntivo) he acts as if oas though he didn't care se comporta como si no le importara she made as if to open the door hizo como si fuera a abrir la puerta as if I'm to blame! ¡como si yo tuviera la culpa! he looks as if oas though he's had enough tiene cara de estar harto
- 1 (equally) it's not as cold today hoy no hace tanto frío I can't run as quickly now no puedo correr tan rápido ahora I have lots of stamps, but he has just as many/twice as many yo tengo muchos sellos, pero él tiene tantos como yo/el doble (que yo) I eat a lot, but he eats just as much yo como mucho, pero él come tanto como yo I was disgusted and said as much estaba asqueado y lo dije she's very considerate and I wish I could say as much for you es muy considerada y me gustaría poder decir lo mismo de ti
- 2as … as these animals grow to as much as 12ft long estos animales llegan a medir 12 pies de largo this was still happening as recently as 1976 esto seguía sucediendo aún en 1976 as long ago as 1960 ya en 1960 as many as 400 people may come pueden venir hasta 400 personas without as much as a smile sin (ni) siquiera una sonrisa
- 3 (for example) [formal] como there are some moving moments, as when … hay momentos conmovedores, como cuando …
- 1 1.1 (in the condition, role of) as a child she adored dancing de pequeña or cuando era pequeña le encantaba bailar as a teacher/diplomat … como maestro/diplomático … she was brilliant as Cleopatra estuvo genial en el papel de Cleopatra he works as a clerk trabaja de oficinista she was dressed/disguised as a man estaba vestida/disfrazada de hombre he strikes me as a fool me parece un tonto, me da la impresión de ser un tonto 1.2 (like) como they answered as one man respondieron como un solo hombre
- 2 (indicating perception, portrayal) we regard this policy as mistaken consideramos equivocada esta política this strikes me as brilliant esto me parece brillante
- [dialect] que
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Spain had three civil wars known as the guerras carlistas (1833-39, 1860, 1872-76). When Fernando VII died in 1833, he was succeeded not by his brother the Infante Don Carlos de Borbón, but by his daughter Isabel, under the regency of her mother María Cristina. This provoked a mainly northern-Spanish revolt, with local guerrillas pitted against the forces of the central government. The Carlist Wars were also a confrontation between conservative rural Catholic Spain, especially the Basque provinces and Aragón, led by the carlistas, and the progressive liberal urban middle classes allied with the army. Carlos died in 1855, but the carlistas, representing political and religious traditionalism, supported his descendants' claims until reconciliation in 1977 with King Juan Carlos.