Translation of as in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (when, while) I saw the car as it turned the corneras she was eating breakfast, the telephone rangvi el coche cuando daba vuelta (a) la esquinaas you go toward the bank, it's the first house on the leftcuando or mientras tomaba el desayuno, sonó el teléfonoas I sit here, I wonder what went wrongyendo hacia el banco, es la primera casa a mano izquierdasentado aquí, me pregunto qué fue lo que pasóExample sentences1.2 (indicating progression) we buy the materials as (and when) we need them
he mellowed as he grew oldercompramos los materiales a medida que or según los vamos necesitandose fue ablandando con los años
- She watched him as he approached her.
- I grabbed the keys to the store as I left.
- The ice continued to melt, but as it did so, I continued to slip deeper into the unknown.
- 2 (because, since) as it was getting late, we decided to leavecomo se hacía tarde, decidimos irnosExample sentences
- There are concerns for her as she was ill before she vanished.
- Athlone requested the game be played before Christmas instead of January 8 as students will be on holiday.
- Children's charities would like more help distributed through child benefit, as it is paid to all children through their mother.
- 3 (though) See examples: try as he might, he could not open it(as) tall as she is, she still had to stand on a chair to reach itpor más que trató, no pudo abrirlo(as) strange as it may seemalta como es, se tuvo que subir a una silla para alcanzarlomuch as I agree with you, I cannot allow itpor extraño que parezcaaunque parezca extrañoaun estando de acuerdo contigo como estoy, no lo puedo permitir
- 4 4.1 (expressing comparison, contrast) he writes with his left hand, as I doshe sang wonderfully, as only she canescribe con la mano izquierda, como yo or igual que yoin the 1980s, as in the 30scantó maravillosamente, como solo ella sabe hacerlo4.2 (in generalizations) as is often the caseen la década de los 80, al igual que en la de los 30it's quite reasonable, as restaurants gocomo suele suceder4.3 (in accordance with) as I was sayingpara como están los restaurantes, es bastante razonablethe situation, as we understand it, is …como iba diciendoas you'll agree, the system is inefficientla situación, tal como nosotros la entendemos, es …estarás de acuerdo conmigo en que el sistema es ineficienteExample sentences
- I'm used to all kinds of hard work, as you know, and I'm not afraid.
- However, as I mentioned earlier, most people are totally unaware of the East Village Arts District.
- Lee was a night-time security guard as I recall, not a cop.
- Try as she might, she can't keep her troubled family from fragmenting.
- But, good as he is, he was not the only reason to enjoy the film.
- Unless you are of a particularly curious bent, you would not even wish to sit down and eat with these people - dazzlingly clever as they undoubtedly are.
- 5 5.1 (in the way that) I love her as I would my own daughter A is to B as X is to Ydo as you wishA es a B como X es a Ydo as I sayhaz lo que quieras or lo que te parezca or [colloquial] lo que te dé la ganashe sang as never beforehaz lo que te digoshe arrived the next day, as planned/expectedcantó como nuncathey proceeded as instructedllegó al día siguiente como se había planeado/como se esperabause form A or B as appropriateprocedieron de acuerdo a las instrucciones recibidasas things standuse el formulario A o B, según correspondaknowing him as I dotal (y) como están las cosas5.2 (defining) See examples: it would be the end of civilization as we know itconociéndolo como lo conozcoI'm only interested in the changes as they affect mesignificaría el fin de la civilización tal y como la conocemosSri Lanka, or Ceylon, as it used to be known Paris as seen by tourists is a very different citysolo me interesan los cambios en la medida en que me afectan a mítheir position, as opposed to oursel París que ven los turistas es una ciudad muy distinta5.3 (in phrases) as it iswe can't publish it as it issu postura, en contraste con la nuestrathe system, as it is at presentno podemos publicarlo tal y como estáno podemos publicarlo así como estáwe've got too much work as it isel sistema, tal y como es ahoraas it were as wasour new president, our secretary as wasya tenemos demasiado trabajoSri Lanka or Ceylon as wasel nuevo presidente, exsecretario de nuestra organizaciónSri Lanka o la antigua CeilánExample sentences
- Thank you Mrs Peck, as usual you have been very helpful.
- Since the mother is ill, she may not be able to care for her baby as she would if she were well.
- The bout was, as was the case back then, a slow-paced fight compared to the fights of today.
- 6 (in comparisons of equal degree) See examples: as … asI am as tall as you (are)tan … comoI left as soon as I could managesoy tan alta como túthere weren't as many people as (there were) last timeme fui en cuanto pudeI bought as much as I usually dono había tanta gente como la última vezshe's not as efficient as she claims to becompré tanto como de costumbreas many people as ask will be helpedno es tan eficiente como pretendeI'm as much a patriot as any of youse ayudará a cuantas personas lo solicitenshe ran as fast as she couldsoy tan patriota como cualquiera de ustedestighten it up as much as you cancorrió tan rápido como pudo or lo más deprisa que pudothe sky was as blue as blue could beapriétalo lo más que puedasI'll be as quiet as possibleel cielo estaba azul, azulestaré lo más callado posibleExample sentences
- Police arrested as many as 150 people for participating in a rare public protest to call for reforms.
- The plan is less than the estimates of some analysts, who had said the company may have to pay as much as $4 billion.
- Now the chimp is an endangered species, with as few as 150,000 chimps left in the wild.
- 1 (equally) See examples: it's not as cold todayI can't run as quickly nowhoy no hace tanto fríoI have lots of stamps, but he has just as many/twice as manyno puedo correr tan rápido ahoraI eat a lot, but he eats just as muchyo tengo muchos sellos, pero él tiene tantos como yo/el doble (que yo)I was disgusted and said as muchyo como mucho, pero él come tanto como yoshe's very considerate and I wish I could say as much for youestaba asqueado y lo dijees muy considerada y me gustaría poder decir lo mismo de tiExample sentences
- He's not as big as you think he is.
- A microprocessor, as small as a postage stamp, performs thousands of calculations per second based on readings from the sensor.
- They know the company as well as I do.
- 2as … asthese animals grow to as much as 12ft longthis was still happening as recently as 1976estos animales llegan a medir 12 pies de largoas long ago as 1960esto seguía sucediendo aún en 1976as many as 400 people may comeya en 1960without as much as a smilepueden venir hasta 400 personassin (ni) siquiera una sonrisa
- 1 1.1 (in the condition, role of) See examples: as a child she adored dancingas a teacher/diplomat …de pequeña or cuando era pequeña le encantaba bailarshe was brilliant as Cleopatracomo maestro/diplomático …he works as a clerkestuvo genial en el papel de Cleopatrashe was dressed/disguised as a mantrabaja de oficinistahe strikes me as a foolestaba vestida/disfrazada de hombre1.2 (like) they answered as one manme parece un tontome da la impresión de ser un tontorespondieron como un solo hombre
- 2 (indicating perception, portrayal) See examples: we regard this policy as mistakenthis strikes me as brilliantconsideramos equivocada esta políticaesto me parece brillante
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Carnaval is the three days of festivities preceding Lent, characterized by costumes, masks, drinking, music, and dancing.