Translation of as in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (when, while) I saw the car as it turned the cornervi el coche cuando daba vuelta (a) la esquinaas she was eating breakfast, the telephone rangcuando or mientras tomaba el desayuno, sonó el teléfonoas you go toward the bank, it's the first house on the leftyendo hacia el banco, es la primera casa a mano izquierdaas I sit here, I wonder what went wrongsentado aquí, me pregunto qué fue lo que pasóExample sentences1.2 (indicating progression) we buy the materials as (and when) we need them
compramos los materiales a medida que or según los vamos necesitandohe mellowed as he grew olderse fue ablandando con los años
- She watched him as he approached her.
- I grabbed the keys to the store as I left.
- The ice continued to melt, but as it did so, I continued to slip deeper into the unknown.
- 2 (because, since) as it was getting late, we decided to leavecomo se hacía tarde, decidimos irnosExample sentences
- There are concerns for her as she was ill before she vanished.
- Athlone requested the game be played before Christmas instead of January 8 as students will be on holiday.
- Children's charities would like more help distributed through child benefit, as it is paid to all children through their mother.
- 3 (though) try as he might, he could not open itpor más que trató, no pudo abrirlo(as) tall as she is, she still had to stand on a chair to reach italta como es, se tuvo que subir a una silla para alcanzarlo(as) strange as it may seempor extraño que parezcamuch as I agree with you, I cannot allow it
aunque parezca extrañoaun estando de acuerdo contigo como estoy, no lo puedo permitir
- 4 4.1 (expressing comparison, contrast) he writes with his left hand, as I doescribe con la mano izquierda, como yo or igual que yoshe sang wonderfully, as only she cancantó maravillosamente, como solo ella sabe hacerloin the 1980s, as in the 30sen la década de los 80, al igual que en la de los 30Example sentences4.2 (in generalizations) as is often the case
como suele sucederit's quite reasonable, as restaurants gopara como están los restaurantes, es bastante razonable4.3 (in accordance with) as I was sayingcomo iba diciendothe situation, as we understand it, is …la situación, tal como nosotros la entendemos, es …as you'll agree, the system is inefficientestarás de acuerdo conmigo en que el sistema es ineficienteExample sentences
- Try as she might, she can't keep her troubled family from fragmenting.
- But, good as he is, he was not the only reason to enjoy the film.
- Unless you are of a particularly curious bent, you would not even wish to sit down and eat with these people - dazzlingly clever as they undoubtedly are.
- I'm used to all kinds of hard work, as you know, and I'm not afraid.
- However, as I mentioned earlier, most people are totally unaware of the East Village Arts District.
- Lee was a night-time security guard as I recall, not a cop.
- 5 5.1 (in the way that) I love her as I would my own daughter A is to B as X is to YA es a B como X es a Ydo as you wishhaz lo que te parezcahaz lo que te dé la gana [colloquial]do as I sayhaz lo que te digoshe sang as never beforecantó como nuncashe arrived the next day, as planned/expectedllegó al día siguiente como se había planeado/como se esperabathey proceeded as instructedprocedieron de acuerdo a las instrucciones recibidasuse form A or B as appropriateuse el formulario A o B, según correspondaas things standtal (y) como están las cosasknowing him as I doconociéndolo como lo conozcoExample sentences5.2 (defining) it would be the end of civilization as we know it
significaría el fin de la civilización tal y como la conocemosI'm only interested in the changes as they affect mesolo me interesan los cambios en la medida en que me afectan a míSri Lanka, or Ceylon, as it used to be known Paris as seen by tourists is a very different cityel París que ven los turistas es una ciudad muy distintatheir position, as opposed to ourssu postura, en contraste con la nuestra5.3 (in phrases) as it iswe can't publish it as it isno podemos publicarlo tal y como estáthe system, as it is at present
- Thank you Mrs Peck, as usual you have been very helpful.
- Since the mother is ill, she may not be able to care for her baby as she would if she were well.
- The bout was, as was the case back then, a slow-paced fight compared to the fights of today.
no podemos publicarlo así como estáel sistema, tal y como es ahorawe've got too much work as it isya tenemos demasiado trabajoas it were as wasour new president, our secretary as wasel nuevo presidente, exsecretario de nuestra organizaciónSri Lanka or Ceylon as wasSri Lanka o la antigua Ceilán
- 6 (in comparisons of equal degree) as … astan … comoI am as tall as you (are)soy tan alta como túI left as soon as I could manageme fui en cuanto pudethere weren't as many people as (there were) last timeno había tanta gente como la última vezI bought as much as I usually docompré tanto como de costumbreshe's not as efficient as she claims to beno es tan eficiente como pretendeas many people as ask will be helpedse ayudará a cuantas personas lo solicitenI'm as much a patriot as any of yousoy tan patriota como cualquiera de ustedesshe ran as fast as she couldcorrió tan rápido como pudo or lo más deprisa que pudotighten it up as much as you canapriétalo lo más que puedasthe sky was as blue as blue could beel cielo estaba azul, azulI'll be as quiet as possibleestaré lo más callado posibleExample sentences
- Police arrested as many as 150 people for participating in a rare public protest to call for reforms.
- The plan is less than the estimates of some analysts, who had said the company may have to pay as much as $4 billion.
- Now the chimp is an endangered species, with as few as 150,000 chimps left in the wild.
- 1 (equally) it's not as cold todayhoy no hace tanto fríoI can't run as quickly nowno puedo correr tan rápido ahoraI have lots of stamps, but he has just as many/twice as manyyo tengo muchos sellos, pero él tiene tantos como yo/el doble (que yo)I eat a lot, but he eats just as muchyo como mucho, pero él come tanto como yoI was disgusted and said as muchestaba asqueado y lo dijeshe's very considerate and I wish I could say as much for youes muy considerada y me gustaría poder decir lo mismo de tiExample sentences
- He's not as big as you think he is.
- A microprocessor, as small as a postage stamp, performs thousands of calculations per second based on readings from the sensor.
- They know the company as well as I do.
- 2as … asthese animals grow to as much as 12ft longestos animales llegan a medir 12 pies de largothis was still happening as recently as 1976esto seguía sucediendo aún en 1976as long ago as 1960ya en 1960as many as 400 people may comepueden venir hasta 400 personaswithout as much as a smilesin (ni) siquiera una sonrisa
- 1 1.1 (in the condition, role of) as a child she adored dancingde pequeña or cuando era pequeña le encantaba bailaras a teacher/diplomat …como maestro/diplomático …she was brilliant as Cleopatraestuvo genial en el papel de Cleopatrahe works as a clerktrabaja de oficinistashe was dressed/disguised as a manestaba vestida/disfrazada de hombrehe strikes me as a foolme parece un tonto1.2 (like) they answered as one man
me da la impresión de ser un tontorespondieron como un solo hombre
- 2 (indicating perception, portrayal) we regard this policy as mistakenconsideramos equivocada esta políticathis strikes me as brilliantesto me parece brillante
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.