Translation of ask in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 (inquire) preguntar; (inquire of) preguntarle a ask why pregunta por qué ask your mother pregúntale a tu madre to ask a question hacer* una pregunta to ask sb sth preguntarle algo
aalgn ask Pete how much we owe him pregúntale a Pete cuánto le debemos I asked him the time le pregunté la hora I asked him his name le pregunté cómo se llamaba I asked him what had happened le pregunté qué había pasado she asked if a letter for her had arrived preguntó si había llegado una carta para ella ask her whether she's a vegetarian pregúntale si es vegetariana she asked me how to do it me preguntó cómo se hacía don't ask me! [colloquial/familiar] ¡yo qué sé! [colloquial/familiar] ask me another! [colloquial/familiar] ¡ni idea! [colloquial/familiar] honestly, I ask you! [colloquial/familiar] ¿no te parece increíble? I often ask myself … muchas veces me pregunto … ask yourself this: would you have done the same? tú hazte la siguiente pregunta: ¿yo habría hecho lo mismo?to ask sb aboutsth/sb/ -inghave you asked him about his trip/his mother? ¿le has preguntado por el viaje/por su madre? ask her about doing overtime pregúntale si sería posible hacer horas extras
- 2 (request) [approval/advice] pedir* may I ask a favor? ¿te puedo pedir un favor? nobody asked your opinion nadie te ha pedido tu opinión all I ask is to be left alone lo único que pido es que me dejen en paz what more can you ask? ¿qué más se puede pedir? is that asking too much? ¿es mucho pedir? to ask sb
forsth pedirle* algo aalgn she asked them for forgiveness les pidió perdón ask Mary for her ruler pídele la regla a Mary he's had it for ages, I'm going to ask him for it back lo tiene desde hace siglos, le voy a pedir que me lo devuelvato ask sth ofsb she asks too much of her students les exige demasiado a sus alumnos to ask sb to + infinitive/infinitivopedirle* aalgn que+ subjunctive/subjuntivothey asked me to help out me pidieron que les diera una mano he'll do it for you if you ask him to te lo hará si se lo pides I must ask you to leave haga el favor de irse you're asking me to believe that? no pretenderás que me lo crea ¿no? I asked her to dance la saqué a bailar do you realise what you're asking me to do? ¿tú sabes lo que me estás pidiendo?to ask to + infinitive/infinitivoshe asked to have the day off (se) pidió el día libre I asked to see the manager pedí hablar con el director she asked to be remembered to your mother me ( or nos etc) dio saludos or recuerdos para tu madre he's asking to be slapped se está buscando una bofetada to ask that+ infinitive/infinitivopedir* que+ subjunctive/subjuntivoshe asked that the money be given to charity pidió que el dinero se entregara a una obra benéficaExample sentences
- If you're asking users to register for a newsletter, ask for only an email address.
- He wasn't asked to plea during his appearance today and did not ask for bail.
- Is it too much to ask for to have at least one popular or semi-popular boy ask me to one of the dances or even out for pizza.
- 3 (invite) invitar to ask sb (
tosth) invitar a algn ( aalgo) they asked me to their wedding me invitaron a su boda we'll ask them to dinner los invitaremos a cenar ask him along invítalo or dile que venga ask them in diles que pasen haven't you asked her out yet? ¿todavía no la has invitado a salir?, ¿todavía no le has dicho de salir? he asked me out to dinner me invitó a salir a cenar we asked them over for tea los invitamos a que vinieran a tomar el té she asked me up for a cup of coffee me invitó a que subiera a tomar un caféExample sentences
- I fight the urge to ask after the health of his son.
- He asked after my parents and enquired into the wellbeing of my wife and kids.
- Since then there has been a deafening silence from punters - we've received three emails asking after Dan's health, including one from a creditor.
- 4 (demand) [price] pedir* to ask sth
forsth pedir* algo poralgo how much is he asking for the car? ¿cuánto pide por el coche? the house sold for £1,000 below the asking price la casa se vendió por 1.000 libras menos de lo que pedíanExample sentences
- There must also be serious questions asked about the handling of this situation by the administrators.
- My question actually asked whether this would be a better course of action.
- It was a simple question that asked whether Parliament should have another look at these laws.
- It is asking a lot to expect him to do well this year in Paris but, provided he stays fit and avoids the pressure cooker of national expectation, he will be back.
- It is also asking a lot to expect players to repeat such a performance within days in a European competition.
- It's far more demanding and you are asking a lot of part-time players to make that step up.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- 1 (inquire) preguntar how are things? — don't ask! [colloquial/familiar] [humorous/humorístico] ¿qué tal? — ¡mejor ni hablar! what's he been up to? — you may well ask! ¿en qué anda? — ¡buena pregunta!to ask
aboutsth/sb/ -inghe asked about your health/you preguntó por tu salud/por ti we asked about selling the house estuvimos preguntando por lo de vender la casa ask away pregunta lo que quieras, pregunta nomás (Latin America/América Latina)
- 2 (request) it's yours for the asking está a tu disposición there's no harm in asking con preguntar no se pierde nadato ask
forsth I asked for his phone number le pedí el número de teléfono when I want your advice, I'll ask for it! cuando quiera consejos, ya te los pediré that guy's asking for a punch in the face ese se está buscando que le dé un puñetazo he asked for it [colloquial/familiar] se lo buscó [colloquial/familiar] to ask forsb preguntar poralgn Steve's asking for you Steve pregunta por ti
ask afterverb + preposition + object/verbo + preposición + complemento preguntar por he asked after you preguntó por ti he asked after your health preguntó por tí, se interesó por tu salud
ask around verb + adverb/verbo + adverbio (make inquiries) I don't have one, but I'll ask around yo no tengo, pero preguntaré por ahí or preguntaré a ver si alguien tiene uno 1.1verb + object + adverb/verbo + complemento + adverbio (invite) invitar I asked them around for a meal los invité a comer
ask backverb + object + adverb/verbo + complemento + adverbio 1.1 (invite home) invitar a casa I asked her back for a coffee la invité a casa a tomar un café 1.2 (invite again) volver* a invitar 1.3 (reciprocate invitation) devolverle* la invitación a
ask round ask around 2
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
El Cid (from Arabic "sid" or "master") was the name given to Rodrigo Díaz de Vivar (born Vivar, near Burgos, c1043). He is Spain's warrior hero, being brave and warlike but also loyal and fair. He grew up in the court of Fernando I of Castile and later fought against the Moors, earning the title, Campeador. He married Jimena, granddaughter of Alfonso VI, "the Wise." In 1089, after a disagreement with the king, he and his loyal retainers went into exile, recapturing Valencia from the Moors. He died in 1099 and his deeds are the subject of many oral accounts, the most complete being El Cantar del Mío Cid. His sword, La Tizona, is in a museum in Burgos.