Translation of ask in Spanish:
- 1 (inquire)(inquire of)ask whypreguntarle aask your motherpregunta por quéto ask a questionpregúntale a tu madreto ask somebody somethinghacer una preguntaask Pete how much we owe himpreguntarle algo
aalguienI asked him the timepregúntale a Pete cuánto le debemosI asked him his namele pregunté la horaI asked him what had happenedle pregunté cómo se llamabashe asked if a letter for her had arrivedle pregunté qué había pasadoask her whether she's a vegetarianpreguntó si había llegado una carta para ellashe asked me how to do itpregúntale si es vegetarianadon't ask me! [colloquial]me preguntó cómo se hacíaask me another! [colloquial]¡yo qué sé! [colloquial]honestly, I ask you! [colloquial]¡ni idea! [colloquial]I often ask myself …¿no te parece increíble?ask yourself this: would you have done the same?muchas veces me pregunto …to ask somebodytú hazte la siguiente pregunta: ¿yo habría hecho lo mismo? aboutsomething/somebody/ -inghave you asked him about his trip/his mother?ask her about doing overtime¿le has preguntado por el viaje/por su madre?pregúntale si sería posible hacer horas extras
- 2 (request)(approval/advice)may I ask a favor?nobody asked your opinion¿te puedo pedir un favor?all I ask is to be left alonenadie te ha pedido tu opiniónwhat more can you ask?lo único que pido es que me dejen en pazis that asking too much?¿qué más se puede pedir?to ask somebody¿es mucho pedir?
forsomethingshe asked them for forgivenesspedirle algo aalguienask Mary for her rulerles pidió perdónhe's had it for ages, I'm going to ask him for it backpídele la regla a Maryto ask somethinglo tiene desde hace siglos, le voy a pedir que me lo devuelva ofsomebodyshe asks too much of her studentsto ask somebody to +les exige demasiado a sus alumnos infinitivethey asked me to help outpedirle aalguien que+ subjunctivehe'll do it for you if you ask him tome pidieron que les diera una manoI must ask you to leavete lo hará si se lo pidesyou're asking me to believe that?haga el favor de irseI asked her to danceno pretenderás que me lo crea ¿no?do you realise what you're asking me to do?la saqué a bailarto ask to +¿tú sabes lo que me estás pidiendo? infinitiveshe asked to have the day offI asked to see the manager(se) pidió el día libreshe asked to be remembered to your motherpedí hablar con el directorhe's asking to be slappedme ( or nos etc) dio saludos or recuerdos para tu madreto askse está buscando una bofetada that+ infinitiveshe asked that the money be given to charitypedir que+ subjunctivepidió que el dinero se entregara a una obra benéficaExample sentences
- If you're asking users to register for a newsletter, ask for only an email address.
- He wasn't asked to plea during his appearance today and did not ask for bail.
- Is it too much to ask for to have at least one popular or semi-popular boy ask me to one of the dances or even out for pizza.
- 3 (invite) to ask somebody (
tosomething)they asked me to their weddinginvitar a alguien ( aalgo)we'll ask them to dinnerme invitaron a su bodaask him alonglos invitaremos a cenarask them ininvítalo or dile que vengahaven't you asked her out yet?diles que pasenhe asked me out to dinner¿todavía no la has invitado a salir?¿todavía no le has dicho de salir?we asked them over for teame invitó a salir a cenarshe asked me up for a cup of coffeelos invitamos a que vinieran a tomar el téme invitó a que subiera a tomar un caféExample sentences
- I fight the urge to ask after the health of his son.
- He asked after my parents and enquired into the wellbeing of my wife and kids.
- Since then there has been a deafening silence from punters - we've received three emails asking after Dan's health, including one from a creditor.
- 4 (demand)(price)to ask something
forsomethinghow much is he asking for the car?pedir algo poralgothe house sold for £1,000 below the asking price¿cuánto pide por el coche?la casa se vendió por 1.000 libras menos de lo que pedíanExample sentences
- There must also be serious questions asked about the handling of this situation by the administrators.
- My question actually asked whether this would be a better course of action.
- It was a simple question that asked whether Parliament should have another look at these laws.
- It is asking a lot to expect him to do well this year in Paris but, provided he stays fit and avoids the pressure cooker of national expectation, he will be back.
- It is also asking a lot to expect players to repeat such a performance within days in a European competition.
- It's far more demanding and you are asking a lot of part-time players to make that step up.
- 1 (inquire) how are things? — don't ask! [colloquial] [humorous]what's he been up to? — you may well ask!¿qué tal? — ¡mejor ni hablar!to ask¿en qué anda? — ¡buena pregunta!
aboutsomething/somebody/ -inghe asked about your health/youwe asked about selling the housepreguntó por tu salud/por tiask awayestuvimos preguntando por lo de vender la casapregunta lo que quieraspregunta nomás (Latin America)
- 2 (request) See examples: it's yours for the askingthere's no harm in asking to askestá a tu disposición
forsomethingI asked for his phone numberwhen I want your advice, I'll ask for it!le pedí el número de teléfonothat guy's asking for a punch in the facecuando quiera consejos, ya te los pediréhe asked for it [colloquial]ese se está buscando que le dé un puñetazoto askse lo buscó [colloquial] forsomebodySteve's asking for youpreguntar poralguienSteve pregunta por ti
- 1verb + adverb (make inquiries) See examples: I don't have one, but I'll ask around
- 1.1 (invite home)
- → ask around 2
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Carnaval is the three days of festivities preceding Lent, characterized by costumes, masks, drinking, music, and dancing.