n(+ sing or pl vb)
- 1.1 (active sports) (AmE) deportes (mpl)More example sentences1.2 (track and field) (esp BrE) atletismo (m)
More example sentences
- Having done athletics and played netball the transition to rugby was not difficult.
- And after that you have athletics and golf and tennis and whatever you like yourself.
- Were ancient athletics useful for preparing young Greek men for the battlefield?
- Jarlath Duffy won his award following a very successful year on the athletics track.
- The other topic that has dogged athletics, as it has so many sports in recent years, is drugs.
- It is not just in athletics that competitors have tried to evade being drug-tested.
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
The RAE (Real Academia de la Lengua Española) is a body established in the eighteenth century to record and preserve the Spanish language. It is made up of académicos, who are normally well-known literary figures and/or academic experts on the Spanish language. The RAE publishes the Diccionario de la Real Academia Española, which is regarded as an authority on correct Spanish. Affiliated academies exist in Latin American countries.