Translation of attempt in Spanish:
- 1.1 (have a try at) See examples: candidates should attempt all questionsshe attempted a smilelos examinandos deben intentar responder a todas las preguntas [formal]he is going to attempt the exam againintentó sonreírhe had attempted the north face beforeva a presentarse al examen otra vez1.2 (try) See examples:to attempt to +ya había intentado escalar la ladera norte
infinitive/ -ingto attempt to beat the recordtratar deor intentar + infinitivedon't attempt walking yettratar de or intentar batir el récordno trate de or no intente caminar todavíaExample sentences1.3
also: attempted past participleattempted suicideattempted murder/robberyintento (masculine) de suicidioattempted couptentativa (feminine) de asesinato/robointentona (feminine) golpista
- Trying to cement her position she pushes the team into attempting an exceptionally difficult human pyramid move.
- That's when she was forced to attempt the most difficult vault of the competition over a kneeling horse.
- The purpose of this article is to attempt the difficult task of trying to describe how the Indians developed this ingenious system.
- he broke his arm in the attemptat o (especially American English) on the first attemptse rompió un brazo en el intentoat least they made the attempta la primera (tentativa)al primer intentoattempt to +al menos lo intentaronal menos hicieron la tentativa
infinitivein my attempt to avoid the other car …they made no attempt to be politeal tratar de or intentar esquivar el otro coche …attemptno hicieron ningún esfuerzo para ser corteses atsomething/ -ingI made an attempt at conversationtheir attempts at lighting a fire failedtraté de or intenté entablar conversaciónshe had another attempt at the recordfracasaron en su intento de encender fuegoto make an attempt on somebody's lifevolvió a intentar batir el récordatentar contra la vida de alguienExample sentences
- I passed my motorcycle test at the first attempt at the age of 17.
- I refuse to talk about my abortive attempt at qualifying for the Hanley Cup lest I depress myself even more.
- I was fortunate enough to undergo successful IVF treatment at the first attempt, resulting in the birth of twin daughters.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Mezcal is an alcoholic drink similar to