Translation of attempt in Spanish:
- 1 (have a try at) candidates should attempt all questionslos examinandos deben intentar responder a todas las preguntas [formal]she attempted a smileintentó sonreírhe is going to attempt the exam againva a presentarse al examen otra vezhe had attempted the north face beforeya había intentado escalar la ladera norte
- 2 (try)to attempt to +
infinitive/ -ingtratarto attempt to beat the record deor intentar + infinitivetratar de or intentar batir el récorddon't attempt walking yetno trate de or no intente caminar todavíaExample sentences
- Trying to cement her position she pushes the team into attempting an exceptionally difficult human pyramid move.
- That's when she was forced to attempt the most difficult vault of the competition over a kneeling horse.
- The purpose of this article is to attempt the difficult task of trying to describe how the Indians developed this ingenious system.
- he broke his arm in the attemptse rompió un brazo en el intentoat o (esp (American English) ) on the first attempta la primera (tentativa)at least they made the attempt
al primer intentoal menos lo intentaronattempt to +
al menos hicieron la tentativa
infinitivein my attempt to avoid the other car …al tratar de or intentar esquivar el otro coche …they made no attempt to be politeno hicieron ningún esfuerzo para ser cortesesattempt atsomething/ -ingI made an attempt at conversationtraté de or intenté entablar conversacióntheir attempts at lighting a fire failedfracasaron en su intento de encender fuegoshe had another attempt at the recordvolvió a intentar batir el récordto make an attempt on somebody's lifeatentar contra la vida de alguienExample sentences
- I passed my motorcycle test at the first attempt at the age of 17.
- I refuse to talk about my abortive attempt at qualifying for the Hanley Cup lest I depress myself even more.
- I was fortunate enough to undergo successful IVF treatment at the first attempt, resulting in the birth of twin daughters.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.