n (pl -ties)
- 1 u 1.1 (power) autoridad (f) they have no respect for authority no respetan la autoridad those in authority los que tienen la autoridad, los que mandan to have authority over sb/sth tener* autoridad sobre algn/algo I have no authority in the matter no tengo competencia en el asunto I'm not in a position of authority no tengo autoridad to exercise one's authority ejercer* su ( or mi etc) autoridadMore example sentences1.2 (authorization) authority to +
- That is vital if soldiers are to trust those in authority over them.
- And this fact will, no doubt, be trumpeted as a success by those set in authority over us.
- You may clash with somebody in authority over an important and complex matter in what could turn out to be a difficult period.
infautorización (f) para+ infhe had my authority to do it tenía mi autorización para hacerlo he acted without proper authority actuó sin la debida autorización to exceed one's authority [formal] excederse en el ejercicio de sus atribuciones [formal]More example sentences1.3 (authoritativeness) autoridad (f) I can speak with some authority on this subject puedo hablar del tema con cierta autoridad his voice carried authority su voz denotaba autoridad the champion played with real authority el campeón jugó con verdadera maestría
More example sentences
- The accused approached government officials, seeking authority to leave the country.
- No change of the publication regime is planned, his staff discovers, and the officials involved have no authority to issue any print licenses.
- And agents do not have permission and have no authority, no jurisdiction to work on Jordanian soil.
- One man in particular stood out amongst them, standing with authority and giving commands to anyone who came near.
- He rose quickly in an army which appreciated his soldierly presence and natural authority.
- But my enthusiasm waned slightly as I began to realise there are only so many colours that can be cited as ‘lucky’ with authority.
- 2 c (person, body) autoridad (f) I will pass on your complaint to the proper authority o authorities haré llegar su queja a la(s) autoridad(es) competente(s) the education authority (esp BrE) distrito escolar y autoridades correspondientes the council is a government authority set up to … el concejo es una entidad gubernamental creada para … she was detained by the Belgian authorities fue detenida por las autoridades belgas the museum authorities la dirección del museoMore example sentences
- Apart from the politicians and the health authorities, economists are also worried.
- These, then, are the various powers under which governmental authorities may act.
- They are also calling for powers to allow authorities to intervene to protect young people who are at risk from drugs.
- 3 c 3.1 (expert) authority (
onsth) autoridad (f)( enalgo) he is an authority on the subject es una autoridad en la materia 3.2 (source) autoridad (f) my authority for (saying) this is the Bible itself me baso en la propia Biblia to have sth on good authority saber* algo de buena fuente I have it on the best authority that … sé de la mejor de las fuentes que … I have it on his own authority that … él mismo me ha dicho que …More example sentences
More example sentences
- None of the books quotes any sources or authorities for its statements, and all have pathetic indexes.
- Changes of this sort would, I feel, help to establish the book as an important authority in this crucial and fast-changing field.
- He was not able to produce any authority in support of his proposition.
- The early Dissenters and Separatists of the late 15th century were his specialist study, and he became an authority on this subject.
- Names are so hard to get right - and he is an authority on the subject.
- She has been 6 years with this work and is clearly now an authority on the subject.
Browse other language resources
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Cultural fact of the day
Today is a public holiday in Peru (Día de la Independencia)