Translation of authority in Spanish:
noun plural -ties
- 1 uncountable 1.1 (power) they have no respect for authoritythose in authorityno respetan la autoridadto have authority over somebody/somethinglos que tienen la autoridadlos que mandanI have no authority in the mattertener autoridad sobre alguien/algoI'm not in a position of authorityno tengo competencia en el asuntoto exercise one's authorityno tengo autoridadejercer su ( or mi etc) autoridadExample sentences1.2 (authorization) See examples:authority to +
- That is vital if soldiers are to trust those in authority over them.
- And this fact will, no doubt, be trumpeted as a success by those set in authority over us.
- You may clash with somebody in authority over an important and complex matter in what could turn out to be a difficult period.
infinitivehe had my authority to do itautorización (feminine) para+ infinitivehe acted without proper authoritytenía mi autorización para hacerloto exceed one's authority [formal]actuó sin la debida autorizaciónexcederse en el ejercicio de sus atribuciones [formal]Example sentences1.3 (authoritativeness) I can speak with some authority on this subject
his voice carried authoritypuedo hablar del tema con cierta autoridadthe champion played with real authoritysu voz denotaba autoridadel campeón jugó con verdadera maestríaExample sentences
- The accused approached government officials, seeking authority to leave the country.
- No change of the publication regime is planned, his staff discovers, and the officials involved have no authority to issue any print licenses.
- And agents do not have permission and have no authority, no jurisdiction to work on Jordanian soil.
- One man in particular stood out amongst them, standing with authority and giving commands to anyone who came near.
- He rose quickly in an army which appreciated his soldierly presence and natural authority.
- But my enthusiasm waned slightly as I began to realise there are only so many colours that can be cited as ‘lucky’ with authority.
- 2 countable (person, body) I will pass on your complaint to the proper authority o authoritiesthe education authority (especially British English)haré llegar su queja a la(s) autoridad(es) competente(s)(distrito escolar y autoridades correspondientes)the council is a government authority set up to …she was detained by the Belgian authoritiesel concejo es una entidad gubernamental creada para …the museum authoritiesfue detenida por las autoridades belgasla dirección del museoExample sentences
- Apart from the politicians and the health authorities, economists are also worried.
- These, then, are the various powers under which governmental authorities may act.
- They are also calling for powers to allow authorities to intervene to protect young people who are at risk from drugs.
- 3 countable 3.1 (expert) See examples:authority (
onsomething) he is an authority on the subject3.2 (source) my authority for (saying) this is the Bible itselfes una autoridad en la materiato have something on good authorityme baso en la propia BibliaI have it on the best authority that …saber algo de buena fuenteI have it on his own authority that …sé de la mejor de las fuentes que …él mismo me ha dicho que …Example sentences
- None of the books quotes any sources or authorities for its statements, and all have pathetic indexes.
- Changes of this sort would, I feel, help to establish the book as an important authority in this crucial and fast-changing field.
- He was not able to produce any authority in support of his proposition.
- The early Dissenters and Separatists of the late 15th century were his specialist study, and he became an authority on this subject.
- Names are so hard to get right - and he is an authority on the subject.
- She has been 6 years with this work and is clearly now an authority on the subject.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
In some parts of Spain, the name given to a weekly open-air flea market where all kinds of items are sold is a rastro. The name El Rastro as such refers to a very big market of this type held in Madrid at weekends.