Translation of authority in Spanish:
noun plural authorities
- 1 uncountable 1.1 (power) they have no respect for authorityno respetan la autoridadthose in authoritylos que tienen la autoridadto have authority over somebody/something
los que mandantener autoridad sobre alguien/algoI have no authority in the matterno tengo competencia en el asuntoI'm not in a position of authorityno tengo autoridadto exercise one's authorityejercer su ( or mi etc) autoridadExample sentences1.2 (authorization)authority to +
- That is vital if soldiers are to trust those in authority over them.
- And this fact will, no doubt, be trumpeted as a success by those set in authority over us.
- You may clash with somebody in authority over an important and complex matter in what could turn out to be a difficult period.
infinitiveautorización (feminine)he had my authority to do it para+ infinitivetenía mi autorización para hacerlohe acted without proper authorityactuó sin la debida autorizaciónto exceed one's authority [formal]excederse en el ejercicio de sus atribuciones [formal]Example sentences1.3 (authoritativeness) I can speak with some authority on this subject
puedo hablar del tema con cierta autoridadhis voice carried authoritysu voz denotaba autoridadthe champion played with real authorityel campeón jugó con verdadera maestríaExample sentences
- The accused approached government officials, seeking authority to leave the country.
- No change of the publication regime is planned, his staff discovers, and the officials involved have no authority to issue any print licenses.
- And agents do not have permission and have no authority, no jurisdiction to work on Jordanian soil.
- One man in particular stood out amongst them, standing with authority and giving commands to anyone who came near.
- He rose quickly in an army which appreciated his soldierly presence and natural authority.
- But my enthusiasm waned slightly as I began to realise there are only so many colours that can be cited as ‘lucky’ with authority.
- 2 countable (person, body) I will pass on your complaint to the proper authority o authoritiesharé llegar su queja a la(s) autoridad(es) competente(s)the education authority (esp (British English) )(distrito escolar y autoridades correspondientes)the council is a government authority set up to …el concejo es una entidad gubernamental creada para …she was detained by the Belgian authoritiesfue detenida por las autoridades belgasthe museum authoritiesla dirección del museoExample sentences
- Apart from the politicians and the health authorities, economists are also worried.
- These, then, are the various powers under which governmental authorities may act.
- They are also calling for powers to allow authorities to intervene to protect young people who are at risk from drugs.
- 3 countable 3.1 (expert)authority (
onsomething) he is an authority on the subjectes una autoridad en la materiaExample sentences3.2 (source) my authority for (saying) this is the Bible itself
me baso en la propia Bibliato have something on good authoritysaber algo de buena fuenteI have it on the best authority that …sé de la mejor de las fuentes que …I have it on his own authority that …él mismo me ha dicho que …Example sentences
- The early Dissenters and Separatists of the late 15th century were his specialist study, and he became an authority on this subject.
- Names are so hard to get right - and he is an authority on the subject.
- She has been 6 years with this work and is clearly now an authority on the subject.
- None of the books quotes any sources or authorities for its statements, and all have pathetic indexes.
- Changes of this sort would, I feel, help to establish the book as an important authority in this crucial and fast-changing field.
- He was not able to produce any authority in support of his proposition.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.