Translation of avoid in Spanish:
- 1.1 (keep away from)(obstacle/place)why are you avoiding me?
evitar¿por qué me rehúyes?she avoided his eyes
¿por qué intentas eludirme?evitó mirarlo a los ojosI'd managed to avoid being noticed until then
le eludió la miradahabía logrado pasar inadvertido hasta entoncesExample sentences1.2 (refrain from) to avoid
- What is the best method for those who wish to avoid excessive sun exposure and dairy sources of vitamin D?
- Ironically, women who seek these treatments to improve the appearance of their skin could have avoided their fate by avoiding excessive sun exposure in the first place.
- Why, you try cutting them out, stop eating them, avoiding temptation.
-ingevitar +avoid drawing attention to yourself infinitiveevita llamar la atenciónyou can't avoid seeing her occasionally
procura no llamar la atenciónno puedes evitar verla de vez en cuandoExample sentences1.3 (save oneself from)
(trouble/embarrassment/accident)I don't pay if I can avoid it
- He said even the mine accidents that had been happening could have been avoided had monitoring committees been in place.
- The Met Office estimates £1 billion damage is caused to homes by bad weather alone, and much could be avoided by taking preventative measures.
- The reason to do it now is preventive to try and avoid a toothless old age for her.
evitarsi puedo evitarlo, no pagoto avoid
-ingevitar +she only just avoided being sent to prison infinitivese salvó de ir a la cárcel por muy poco
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.