Translation of avoid in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1.1 (keep away from) [obstacle/place] evitar; [topic/question] evitar, eludir; [blow] esquivar, eludir why are you avoiding me? ¿por qué me rehúyes?, ¿por qué intentas eludirme? she avoided his eyes evitó mirarlo a los ojos, le eludió la mirada I'd managed to avoid being noticed until then había logrado pasar inadvertido hasta entoncesExample sentences1.2 (refrain from) evitar to avoid
- What is the best method for those who wish to avoid excessive sun exposure and dairy sources of vitamin D?
- Ironically, women who seek these treatments to improve the appearance of their skin could have avoided their fate by avoiding excessive sun exposure in the first place.
- Why, you try cutting them out, stop eating them, avoiding temptation.
-ingevitar + infinitive/infinitivoavoid drawing attention to yourself evita llamar la atención, procura no llamar la atención you can't avoid seeing her occasionally no puedes evitar verla de vez en cuandoExample sentences1.3 (save oneself from) [trouble/embarrassment/accident] evitar I don't pay if I can avoid it si puedo evitarlo, no pago to avoid
- He said even the mine accidents that had been happening could have been avoided had monitoring committees been in place.
- The Met Office estimates £1 billion damage is caused to homes by bad weather alone, and much could be avoided by taking preventative measures.
- The reason to do it now is preventive to try and avoid a toothless old age for her.
-ingevitar + infinitive/infinitivoshe only just avoided being sent to prison se salvó de ir a la cárcel por muy poco
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Bonoloto is a Spanish state lottery established in 1988. The others are the Lotería Nacional and the Lotería Primitiva. As with the Lotería Primitiva six numbers are marked on a ticket showing forty-nine numbers and win the main prize if all the numbers come up in the draw.