Translation of background in Spanish:
- 1.1 (of picture, scene) against a white backgroundI could hear voices in the backgroundsobre un fondo blancoshe prefers to stay in the backgroundoía voces en el fondothe public knows little of what goes on in the backgroundprefiere permanecer en un segundo plano1.2 (of events) See examples:background (el público sabe poco de lo que pasa entre bastidores
tosomething)the background to the storyantecedentes (masculine plural) ( dealgo)you have to look at the background to the strikelos antecedentes del casoagainst a background of rising inflationhay que considerar las circunstancias que llevaron a la huelga or el contexto en que se dio la huelgaen un momento de creciente inflaciónExample sentences1.3 (of person) (— origin)
(— previous activities)from a working-class backgroundhe comes from a religious backgroundde clase obreraher background is in researchcreció en un ambiente religiososu experiencia/formación profesional es en el campo de la investigaciónExample sentences
- Due to the number of calls regarding this, I'm including a little background information on the situation.
- These organizations emerged against the background of a deepening economic and political crisis and an increasing entrenchment of racism.
- But the background information about Yao Ming's upbringing is fascinating.
- We're providing very little incentive for students from social and economically disadvantaged backgrounds to come into education.
- We all have different sensitivities, social backgrounds, families and different experiences of discipline and violence in real life.
- One of the main aims of this project is not just to widen the cohort of volunteers, but also to make sure that young people of different social backgrounds can come together in a common experience.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Mezcal is an alcoholic drink similar to